This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Question about Garafola book

Chris, to me, it is a scholarly book that looks like a coffee table book. It is a series of essays about exactly what the title says, "The Ballets Russes and its World" that is beautifully and thoroughly illustrated.

It's not a history, or biography, or the story of the various Ballets Russes companies (like the wonderful film!), nor something you can read straight through, but good for really deeply thought analyses, and historical essays. They are in chronological order, starting with a discussion of Diaghilev's family, going all the way through Lincoln Kirstein.

I have found it interesting and useful -- and I have not read more than one essay straight through, but been able to jump from chapter to chapter when I want to research (or just learn about) something.

Those reviews are bizarre --

though it IS true that contemporary academic writing, esp that influenced by "critical theory,' is not user-friendly for non-academics -- unnecesssarily hard to understand, annoyingly sesquipedalian, and also often DOES seem to blame those of the past for not having the values of the present.

I bet this is an excellent book. I haven't seen it, but it seems like an outgrowth of the catalogue of the HUGE exhibition that Nancy van Norman Baer (who was a friend of mine) put on in one of the fine arts museums of San Francisco in the late 80s.

I have that (excellent) catalogue, and it has nearly a dozen essays by some of the same hands as the book you're talking about -- but it's not 400 plus pages.

Nancy's show had rooms full of costumes -- almost all of Bakst's for "the Sleeping Princess," wonderful things that Matisse made with cutouts, on and on -- on top of watercolors for costume designs and sets, many many of those -- seems like there was especialy a lot of Goncharova. She'd gotten stuff from everywhere -- I remember a Sargent of Nijinsky. Many pictures from the collection of Serge Lifar.

She was a wonderful person, and those exhibitions were incredibly valuable, and she can not be replaced -- there was one specifically about Nijinska, and a fabulous one of Russian constructivism, and another equally fabulous one of the designs for the Ballets Suedois, with a giant maquette of Leger's set and costumes for Creation du Monde (which had giant puppets).

The Nijinska show accompanied hte Oakland Ballet's revivals and reconstructions of Nijinska's work, and may have helped encourage -- this is just speculation, but it seems to me likely -- Nijinska's daughter to put together the volume of Nijinska's memoirs that came out around the time Les Noces was revived -- which was part of the intellectual life of the Bay Area. There was some synergy there.

What Nancy did had a healthy effect of drawing attention to ballet from the art world and helped establish the place of ballet in the community, at a time when SF Ballet was still trying to consolidate what Richard leBlond was doing to rescue SFB (which had nearly gone under before he was brought in).

All this is off the top of my head, I haven't researched it -- but I think it's about right

I saw that exhibition (I believe at the Palace of Fine Arts) Paul, and it was wonderful. I know that it was shown in at least two places, because I was lucky enough to see it twice (possibly at the Dance Museum in Saratoga, NY the other time). The book does not mention the exhibit however, on the covers, flaps or acknowledgements or introduction, although it does mention the museum of Fine Arts in SF, along with many other soures in the acknowledgements.