This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

VAI has just released a dvd devoted to Alicia Alonso. Has anyone seen this dvd? I have a video of Alonso but this appears to be a very different dvd.

Also, has anyone seen:

POB's Ivan the Terrible?

Australian Ballet's Coppelia?

Giselle with Karen Kain

Creole Giselle?

canbelto,

the Australian ballet's Coppelia is a very nice 3-act, more or less traditional Coppelia. The dancing is competent to very good & Pavane is a natural Swanilda. Coppelia as a ballet fits well with the Australian ballet's plain and unfussy style of dancing. The production is good, if a bit faded. Nothing exceptional, but very pleasant, nonetheless.

I'll probably watch Ivan during the weekend. I have flipped throught it and watched the first solo and the last 15 minutes and my impression is that it will prove interesting to see the clash of the styles. Whether live or on video, the pob always gave me the impression that they would much rather miss the music than miss a step or perform it in less than the correct classical manner. So to see them struggle with Bolshoi-larger-than-life-ness will be fun, maybe even funny. My first impression is that, with the excess toned down a bit, the choreography cannot sustain interest, but I'll get back to you after I've seen the whole dvd. One thing I already know: I missed the lunacy and absolute conviction that Mukhamedov gave this part. The stage production and the dvd are as always close to perfect. There are very helpful titles that explain what you are watching. I had taped the Bolshoi version from tv and I could not figure out what was happening.

I remember Giselle with Karen Kain through the mists of time as a memorable Gisellle. I saw it 10(?) years ago on tv. I'd love to see it again.

Happy New Year !!!! :)