This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The new winter season brochure

Just recieve the new in the mail and on the cover is Saskia Beskow, Taryn Wolfe and Ellen Bar at the Cloisters in NYC in their costumes from Balanchine's LaValse. I just have to say is "GO HEAD DIVAS!!!" They are seriously striking the pose!! A fantastic photograph by Heimo Schmidt! It's just strikingly beautiful. Also in the brochure it has the current listing of dancers. Ansanelli and Fayette are no longer listed.

Yes, it is a great picture - as is its companion photo of Janie Taylor.

I do wish, however, that the photos used in advertising would show more movement. The poster of Ben Millepied in ZAKOUSKI used last season was remarkable in capturing him in the act of dancing. It was so alive.

I agree, Oberon. I don't know what they're trying to communicate with the pose-y, static pix they use lately. They're so self-conscious -- a trait we rarely saw in the late, lamented Balanchine days.

Of course, maybe surface glitz is the image their trying to convey. In that case, they're succeediing.

Carbro and Oberon, I see your point; however, I am just very glad NYCB is past (hopefully) the punk look pictures of a few seasons ago. The photos do though, I think, bespeak the glamour and elegance of the art of ballet. There was a time in the forties and fifties when these sort of posed pictures were the norm, and some of those old photos are fabulous to look at now.