This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

anyone ever heard of this CD?

I was digging around online for some rare CDs and I stumbled onto this Japanese (I think) site that seems to have up for sale a 2 CD set released by the label London called -

"Grand Pas de Deux"

Richard Bonynge

London Symphony Orchestra (with a picture of Dame Alicia Markova - in "Pas de Quatre" - on the cover. This is the same picture used in the original vinyl release of the recording "The Art of the Prima Ballerina")

I have never heard of it. When I went to the Decca site (isnt London and Decca the same label?) there was no listing for it and when I went to investigate this disc further online (Amazon.com, Amazon UK, search engines, etc.) I could find nothing! Anyone that knows me knows that when it comes to obscure/rare 19th century ballet music recordings I must have them! This set looks like a great thing to have, and might have some really great stuff on it. Anyone heard of or seen this before? When you look at the cover of the CD youll see that it has the current Decca/London design scheme (for example - "Fete du Ballet", "Delibes: the 3 Ballets", "Tchaikovsky: the 3 ballets", as well as many other Decca/London releases have this sort of theme going on)

Heres the link to the site I found it on -

http://amatype.com/jp/-/asin/B00005FL2T/

I was digging around online for some rare CDs and I stumbled onto this Japanese (I think) site that seems to have up for sale a 2 CD set released by the label London called -

I have never heard of it. When I went to the Decca site (isnt London and Decca the same label?)

http://amatype.com/jp/-/asin/B00005FL2T/

Solor,

Yes , London and Decca are pretty much the same thing . Years ago Decca LPs were marketed in the US as London. They have pretty much discontinued this sort of odd policy and pretty much everything is Decca here in the US now. They may have used the London label elsewhere, that I don't know.

Richard Bonynge had a great interest in all kinds of 19th century music, I wonder how much has gone into limbo with the advent of the CD format.

Most (but not all) of the recordings with his wife have come out on CD but 'll bet there is much of non vocal music that is lurking in the vaults.

But if you found a set on a Japanese site, go for it, some of these more unusual releases come in and go out of print quickly

Richard

I believe that the 2 CD set you mention is now only available as part of the boxed set, Fete du Ballet, which includes several of the Bonynge recordings. I think the Tower Records store at B'way and 66th normally has this set as an import and as I recall the price is not bad; also London/Decca label happens to be on sale at the store for 25% off...til the end of the month, I think.

They also have an interesting box set of Bournonville Ballets - I think it's 5 or 6 discs. But that label is not on sale :yahoo: