This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Kschessinska bio

I am very pleased to learn that a new Kschessinska bio is just published. It is called "Imperial dancer Mathilde Kschessinska and the Romanovs". Published by Sutton and will probably be out in the US in September.

The author is the English historian Coryne Hall, a writer with immense insight in the Russian Imperial family. She has previously published two volumes on the subject: "Little mother of Russia: A biography of Empress Marie Fedorovna" and

"Once a Grand Duchess: Xenia, sister of Nicholas II"

Now it just struck me, when I first started going to London Festival Ballet, Grand Duchess Xenia was their patron.

Anyway, knowing Ms. Hall's knowledge of the subject, I can hardly wait. Do I order it or do I book a ticket on the good ship to Newcastle to buy it in person? The latter might be more in the spirit of Mathilde, I could then order a sumptious dinner on board in her style, champagne and caviar. I have a feeling it will be worth it... :):(

Oh, it will!!!! I am thrilled to hear that it will be out in the fall for us here in the U.S. I read Once a Grand Duchess years ago and have never forgotten it.....it is available through interlibrary loan and I recommend it highly.

Now back to ballet....

anyone can recommend a good/scholarly biography of Karsavina? (Other than Theatre Street...)

I dont think there is any full-length biography of Karsavina (besides of course her own memoirs) but she figures prominently in Richard Buckle's Diaghilev and Nijinsky, both excellent books.

Indeed, but one does get the feeling (or at least I did) that Karsavina, long-lived as she was, and conveniently located, was a major source for Buckle, and the inevitable payback was that her view on a couple matters should prevail, such as the relentless trashing of Pavlova.

I have not the slightest doubt Karsavina was an exceptional woman and artist, but there are times when Buckle's adulation (there's also the In the Wake of Diaghilev volume) gets a little too much. The reader is left no space to make up his own mind.

Am I the only one who thinks Buckle pretty much had said his say in Nijinsky? To me his Diaghilev is sort of a rehash of the earlier book.