This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fourth week casting 2005 spring season

Program and Casting Subject to Change

* First time in role

+ Guest Artist

# SAB Student

MAY 17-22, 2005

TUESDAY EVENING, MAY 17 AT 7:30PM

The Four Temperaments: ARTHURS, VEYETTE, RIGGINS, RAMASAR, HANSON, J. ANGLE*, BOAL, SYLVE, ASKEGARD, EVANS, REICHLEN [McDill]

Intermission

Polyphonia: WHELAN, WEESE, ANSANELLI, TINSLEY, SOTO, VEYETTE, HALL, RAMASAR* [Grant, Walters]

Intermission

Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3:

Elegy: BAR, la COUR

Waltz: RUTHERFORD, FAYETTE

scherzo: BOUDER, GOLD

Theme: FAIRCHILD*, DE LUZ*

WEDNESDAY EVENING, MAY 18 AT 8:00PM [Quinn]

Emeralds: RUTHERFORD, HANNA, RINGER, FAYETTE, EDGE, RIGGINS, CARMENA

Intermission

Rubies: WEESE, WOETZEL, REICHLEN [Walters]

Intermission

Diamonds: KOWROSKI, NEAL

THURSDAY EVENING, MAY 19 AT 8:00PM [Moredock]

Ballo della Regina: BOUDER, MILLEPIED, HYLTIN, EDGE, SCHELLER, RIGGINS

Intermission

Polyphonia: WHELAN, WEESE, ANSANELLI, TINSLEY, SOTO, VEYETTE, HALL, RAMASAR [Grant, Walters]

Intermission

Glass Pieces: KROHN, HANNA, RUTHERFORD, J. ANGLE, A. STAFFORD, la COUR, WHELAN, TEWSLEY+

FRIDAY EVENING, MAY 20 AT 8:00PM [Kaplow]

Tschaikovsky Suite No. 3:

Elegy: KÖRBES, HANNA

Waltz: RUTHERFORD, FAYETTE

scherzo: BOUDER, GOLD

Theme: WEESE, ASKEGARD

Intermission

Musagète: WHELAN, KOWROSKI, ANSANELLI, TEWSLEY+, la COUR, DANCHIG-WARING, HANNA [Chelton, Nikkanen]

SATURDAY MATINEE, MAY 21 AT 2:00PM [Kaplow]

Stravinsky Violin Concerto: BORREE, MARTINS, SYLVE, EVANS [Nikkanen]

Intermission

Polyphonia: WHELAN, WEESE, ANSANELLI, TINSLEY, SOTO, VEYETTE, HALL, RAMASAR [Grant, Walters]

Intermission

Glass Pieces: KROHN, HANNA, RUTHERFORD, J. ANGLE, A. STAFFORD, la COUR, KOWROSKI, NEAL

SATURDAY EVENING, MAY 21 AT 8:00PM [Moredock]

Ballo della Regina: BOUDER, MILLEPIED, HYLTIN, EDGE, SCHELLER, RIGGINS

Pause

Double Aria: KOWROSKI, la COUR

Intermission

The Goldberg Variations:

Theme: REICHLEN, la COUR*

1st Sect.: BOUDER, HANNA, J. ANGLE, FAIRCHILD*, HIGGINS, DE LUZ

2nd Sect.: WHELAN, EVANS, KOWROSKI, NEAL, WEESE, BOAL [Grant]

SUNDAY MATINEE, MAY 22 AT 3:00PM [Quinn]

Emeralds: RUTHERFORD, HANNA, RINGER, FAYETTE, EDGE, RIGGINS, CARMENA

Intermission

Rubies: WEESE, WOETZEL, REICHLEN [Walters]

Intermission

Diamonds: KOWROSKI, NEAL

I must say I am very disappointed in the 4th week casting.

There are so very little Balanchine ballets being done at NYCB these days, and I had hoped to see Ashley Bouder in a new role. But it's more of the "same old, same old" as far as Jewels, Four Ts and Suite 3 are concerned. It seems to me that the only new ballet Ashley has gotten this season is the modern dance section in Barber. Now, IMHO, Ms. Bouder is the best classical dancer in a generation and there is something wrong with "this picture" when she is given a modern dance role. (That's nothing against Barber or the role, by the way). Yes, she's only 21, but in just a few short weeks we will have the long six-month dry spell without any Balanchine ballets.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE AT NYCB: Please, please use this extraordinary dancer more in "real" ballets (i.e., Balanchine ballets) and, while you're at it give us more Balanchine ballets. I was at NYCB Tuesday night. Whatever one could say about the casting of the ballet, it just zipped along. The rest of the night was interminable, boring, etc. etc. We old-timers spend money too, you know; don't forget us when seeking a younger audience. Our money is just as green as that of the younger audience, and many of us old-times love those Balanchine ballets. Watch out NYCB: you might lose the old-timers when changing the rep to non-Balanchine works. And, beware, nothing that has been created in the last twenty plus years is going to be around in twenty more years. It's all Tang compared to freshly squeezed OJ.

Okay, end of rant.

Bobbi, I hate to point this out, but Barber is not new to Ashley this season. She's pictured in it -- evidence of earlier performance -- in one of the brochures. It just makes your complaint even more valid.

BTW, how would you cast her in Jewels? I think she's a natural for Rubies, but wouldn't it be interesting to see her in Violette's role? It could be an good educational experience for her.

Thanks for pointing out that Ashley had been in Barber before. Obviously I missed her, and it was only new to me.

As far as Jewels go, I would really love to see Ashley in Emeralds (and not just because it's my favorite section). Over the past several years, this role has been cast with a very much less technically accomplished dancer. (Maybe that's what Gottlieb refers to as dishonoring the rep??) In any event, this great Verdy role requires a ballerina who has the ability to choose when to fall off point -- and this is right up Ashley's alley, particularly with her exquisite musicality and rubato.

Of course, I would not sit out Ashley's Diamonds. . . . (sigh, sigh)!!!

But let's see it before she's about to retire. Tempus fugit!!!

Since people seem to be wanting "different" casting in JEWELS, I dreamed up the following:

EMERALDS: Whelan/Neal, Ansanelli/Millepied; A. Stafford/F. Arthurs/Hendrickson

RUBIES: Bouder/deLuz; Krohn

DIAMONDS: Reichlin/Hanna or Korbes/Angle

I know, not all "new" to their roles but I think it would all seem pretty fresh.

bobbi,

A year ago the thought of Bouder in EMERALDS would have struck me as a bit odd but watching her this season, there is a wonderful new sense of both glamour and romance about her. So: Bouder/EMERALDS = yes! And DIAMONDS no doubt will come...diamonds are a girl's best friend, after all.