This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Choreographer of the subway

Today is being celebrated as the 100th anniversary of the NYC subway. For the occasion, the NY Times ran a lengthy article by Randy Kennedy, starting on page one, which covered various subway lines at different hours of the day and night. The last paragraph of the article made me glad I read the whole thing:

"As midnight approached last night at the Jamaica yard, a tower operator, Marianne Kreuter, was ending her shift. She was pulling the big levers in the room overlooking the yard, sending trains out into a new century. 'It's like choreographing a ballet,' Ms. Kreuter said as she flipped the switches on the control panel. 'And you can call me Georgette Balanchine.'"

"Dance Capital of the World", all right. Reminds me of the cabbie who took me to Balanchine's funeral. We had a friendly argument about whether he had had a hard life or not. The cabbie knew a lot of details.

And then there's an association with the man himself, speaking of subways: Seems the duo-pianists Gold and Fizdale, friends of his, were setting out with him for some place in Manhattan and proposed a way to go. "No," he said, "Subway much better." I wonder if Ms. Kreuter knew that.

Thanks, Farrell Fan!