This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Reading the tea leaves

We frown on gossip at Ballet Alert, however wild conjecture is of course allowed. Or at least it's a favorite sport. Most of my guesses are based on casting. I think it tells you pretty clearly where people stand in the company.

So looking at the cast lists, what do folks see at the bottom of the tea cup?

I don't get many fortuneteller cookies for this one, but the name littered with asterisks next to hers is Bouder. Often, someone moves up from the corps only to dance less. And soloist becomes a terminal position for them, or they spend years there. The other extreme is someone like Damien Woetzel who barely made a passing acquaintance with being a soloist. My tea cup doesn't come with a money-back guarantee, but frequency of debuts is a strong indicator of promotions.

The other thing I'm thinking is that they're looking at Amanda Hankes. More needs to happen for there to be a pattern, but someone has noticed her.

Any comments or other prognostications? (Again, wild conjecture with zero basis in fact allowed, but we really, honestly, don't do "I heard from a friend of the hairdresser of one of the dancers. . .")

Another pattern is the promotion that kind of sneaks up on you. You don't especially notice a dancer being pushed forward, but little by little they accumulate roles, and before you know it they are de facto soloists. Balanchine usually just let them stay that way, but Peter Martins's policy has been to award them official promotion. Stacey Calvert is one example of this. I think Adam Hendrickson may be another.

Hankes, yes. Her dancing has a very unusual beauty that is just becoming apparent. I'd like to see more of her.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other Amanda (Edge) gets a dutiful service/longevity promotion to soloist. I'm not wishing, just half-expecting.

I also like the way Carmena's been developing. The wild child is learning the value of finesse. Not sure if they're going to move him yet (or ever). I find my eye drawn to him time after time.

Korbes, Korbes, Korbes!

And I'm betting that Ana Sophia Scheller is on a greased fast track through the ranks.

I'll second the comments on Bouder, Korbes, Carmena, Reichlen and Scheller, and add some sleepers: Sterling Hyltin (great upper body and an easy jump with a thousand-watt smile to boot); Amar Ramasar (definitely an up and comer -- and he's tall!!); and Seth Orza and Arch Higgins (two more tall ones on the way up).

And no one mentioned Janie Taylor?!?

The dancer of the moment it seems to me is Teresa Reichlen. From the winter season to the presence season, Ms. Reichlen has been given huge opportunities in one ballet after another and for the most part has raise to the challenge beautifully. But I hope Peter Martins doesn't rush her development. To quick a promotion can hurt a dancer development I believe as easily as waiting to long. That said I believe if Ms. Reichlen development continues as wonderfully as it is, my tea leaves tells me she'll be a soloists within two years.

AS FOR CARLA KORBES - HERE'S A DANCER THAT HAS WAITED FAR TO LONG FOR PROMOTION. GET THEE TO SOLOIST MR. MARTINS!

Another dancer to look out for and I'm surprise no one else has mention him so far is Daniel Ulbricht. He's a virtuoso wunderkind. Technically he's one of the strongest male dancers NYCB has had in a long time. Yes he's shorter then most ballerinas but there are some ballerinas he can be partner with like Megan Fairchild. With some more developing and guidance I think it won't be to long before he too will be leaving the rank of corp de ballet.

Does anyone knows what happen to Pascale van Kipnis?

Fairchild. Reichlen: check and check. Movin' on up, the both of them.

Ulbricht is certainly a virtuoso, but runs over the line with the cheese-factor occasionally for my tastes.

Hyltin, Lowery and Laracey I'd like to see do more than just stand in the back. From last year's workshop performance, Goodrich and her bluebird should also be making their mark in the next few seasons.

I might point out that the lovely Ellen Bar, who has been an item of interest on this board for the last five years, is beginning to show up in more prominent roles, and notices in several places. It's nice to see a dancer mature in an orderly manner, and while "Forty-Second Street" may be wonderful drama, ("Tonight, you're going out a nobody, but you've got to come back A STAR!") just growing into artistry slowly is a lot easier on the psyche, and the body! :)

Dancerboy05, I am happy to report :jawdrop: that Maya is often cast in big-corps ballets, where her lyrical and grand style distinguish her from her sisters. While there is no particular indication that The Powers have Big Plans for her, I'd love to see her get some opportunities.