This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Albert Evans

I just finish reading the topic "Who are the most underated dancer at NYBC" and it got me thinking about Albert Evans. In the seven years I'm been going to the NYCB I've been watching Mr. Evans, and one thing I've notices about him is that he is one of the most elegant male dancers the company currently have. Every move he makes, every gesture - the way he walk, the movement of his arms is all elegant. Or in other words he possess great nobility. I mention this because in all the years I've been going to city ballet the only ballets I've seen Mr. Evans in on a regular bases have been in the black and white ballets, y'know ( Agon, The Four Temperaments, Stravinsky Violin Concerto, etc) or in more character roles like his wonderful Puck in Midsummer Night's Dream or the second movement in Western Symphony. But because of this inherited elegance and grace why isn't he in more of the so-called prince roles. Granted I don't think Mr. Evans is a virtuoso, I don't think we will ever see him in Prodigal Son, Rubies, Oberon in Midsummer, Theme and Variations or Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux. But he is strong technically and possess a strong presence, not to mention the fact that along with Jock Soto I think he one of the finest partners the company has, that he could certainly appear in ballets like Emeralds, Serenade, Scotch Symphony, Afternoon of a Faun, the title role in Orpheus, the final movement in Vienna Waltzes, Liebeslieder Walzer, Davidsbundlertanza, etc. The one ballet I would just love to see him in is Apollo. This is a ballet I think if given the opportunity Mr. Evans would be glorious in. I think he has all the qualities: elegance, grace, strength of presence, technical power and what I think the most important quality the title character needs, nobility! I've asked many people their opinion of why Mr. Evans is not in any of these ballets. They would all say the basic thing: "I could see him in the ballet". But when I ask them why, they couldn't give me an answer or maybe they was afraid to give me the answer. I couldn't help but think that maybe the answer he isn't given some of these roles is because he is an African-American. I hope that is not true. I really, really hope not!! But know that I've find this message board I'm hoping that someone here would be able to give me an answer to this question :)

I've heard arguments on both sides of this issue, and the points both for and against are plausible. Evans has stated he isn't interested in doing the major classical roles, but that's not what we're talking about here. The only people who can really answer this question with any certainty are Evans and Peter Martins.

[Edited to add: Just because this one is a potential tinderbox, I'm going to remind people on this topic about posting hearsay. Opinions no matter how controversial, are fine, but if you want to say that "X did so and so" and it isn't verifiable - that's off-limits.]

a few years back, i saw albert as the cavalier in nutcracker, along with yvonne borree as sugar plum --

albert was a very last minute replacement in the role (the replacement was so last minute that it was not announced, i believe) --

i had not previously seen him cast in this part

he had obviously been thrown into his costume and appeared somewhat nervous, but was truly magnificent --

yvonne seemed to enjoy dancing with him -- she was delightful, which is not always the case -- and they seemed to be a natural partnership --

i wondered why albert was not cast regularly as cavalier, since he was so good, and - lord knows - nutcracker needs sparking up from time to time --

a missed opportunity by nycb, alas --

were any other posters there?

I can't be sure, but I believe Evans has appeared in Scotch Symphony.

And I agree with you on Apollo. Back when I was a journalist covering NYCB, I used to harp on the topic with some regularity. I also feel Evans' elegance, grace and line would make him an exciting Apollo.

In fact, there are so many people who are eager to see him in the role, perhaps Martins should arrange a special fund-raiser with that casting. I predict a sold-out house.

First week casting is up and again, no Albert...to my mind, he could have done FAUN, Summer in 4 SEASONS, STABAT MATER or KAMMERMUSIK...but in fact he isn't even doing 4th Movement of SYMPHONY IN C which he sometimes does. What gives??