This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Arts Lobby

So, let's say there's a new reality TV show. It's called "The Arts Lobby", and it works like this: contestants hangs around the lobby of the Senate and House Office Buildings, watching for Members of Congress to buttonhole. Their job is to successfully convince these pursestring holders to pony up for the arts.

Want to audition? Tell us your spiel. Why is arts funding good for America? Convince us why we should divert precious funds from schools, starving kids, the elderly, the military, and other public needs.

This is a great idea, treefrog. Thank you.

I wouldn't be very successful, but I guess I'd take the "don't divert money from anything, just print more!" approach. I think that would go down well these days!

There's a new tactic that people are using to say that having the arts downtown is a good way to revitalize downtown, so maybe I'd pick a Congressman from a district with a rotting big city and pitch it there.

What else could we do?

Just tonight I saw an American Express commercial declaring that studying music enhances students' math skills, so good citizen that it is :clapping: , AmEx is supporting music programs in our schools. It's a start. :clapping:

Of course, then you get into the issue of whether we, as a society, should be ceding this responsibility to corporations, who can withdraw it at any time. :shrug:

I haven't carried that card for years, but I'm thinking of getting one now!

Sorry if I've veered :offtopic:.

Just realized, Treefrog, that AmEx could be the primary sponsor of the show!

Edited by carbro

Of course, I am prepared to make the Supreme Sacrifice and take boxcutter in hand, strap on a dynamite belt, run up to the Undisclosed Secret Location (The Dutchess County [NY] Country Club Golf Course), snatch Dick Cheney and demand that America stop the Imperialistic Ballet Conspiracy which is blighting the rest of the world. Given that provocation, our Fearless Leader will declare a trillion-dollar subsidy, payable in 2010, dedicated to protecting American Ballet! But then, of course that would put me stuck in Poughkeepsie with Cheney, and I'd have to listen to him. Maybe not.

On to more benign methods - I think Alexandra's on to something with the "rotting city" approach.

But first - what do politicians love most? Photo ops? Happy people with them in photo ops? Happy children in photo ops?

Performing arts companies need to create their own band of brothers and sisters and bite the bullet by working together as a force. If some of the more well funded could part with a bit more money to allow the less well off to take part, it could work. First, there has to be a meeting of minds and besides a meeting place (and maybe some simple food and drink) which I have no doubt someone at Lincoln Center could supply, there wouldn't have to be much money spent. After this it gets tough - they all have to work together with a common goal, that of getting the public at large interested in the arts in a big, fat photo op kind of way. :wink:

Sorry for the New York slant on my fantasy but it's all I know.

All these larger arts companies have their programs for school kids - if they pooled their resources and did something really fun and colorful in the summer and made sure the politicians were there - well, it could be a start.

(We'll leave Cheney at that undisclosed golf course under the watchful eye of Major Johnson. :))

Politicians want votes, votes and more votes.

P.S. If you want to see some activism in real life - keep your eyes on the SPAC drops NYCB! thread! :blushing:

Edited by BW