This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

History challenge for Young Dancers

Victoria Leigh

Guest AngelinaBallerina

I would have killed to have seen Pavlova... or Fonteyn, they were both such utterly amazing dancers on stage ( apparently!) and you hear so often how you couldn't take your eyes off them... it would have been an incredible experience!

I honestly would have loved to see my teacher, Janet Combs, dance when she was younger. She wasn't famous or anything, but from all that I've heard, she was quite talented. I'd also like to see Alicia Markova or any of the five Oklahoma Native American ballerinas dance. There's probably a video of all of them out there somewhere, but I've never seen it.

------------------

~*Mary*~

"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Hi Mary, I was actually Janet's partner in a few productions. Ironically, I just finished restoring a piece of film that features her as the Sugar Plum Fairy and the I read your note... Karma. I am glad to share it with someone who knows her. The link to see Janet Combs in Nutcracker is at:

http://www.spike.com/video/ballet-russe/3024260

This is from about 1977 so apologies for the poor quality.

Jemil aka Jim Akman

Mary, I have seen Janet Combs dance, and in my own choreography! As you probably know, I taught her when she was a student at OU, and she danced a major role in a Poulenc Concerto that I did for the company there. She was indeed talented, and very lovely!

Of the Indian Ballerinas, I have seen Yvonne Chouteau, Maria Tallchief, and Rosella Hightower. Never saw Mocelyn Larkin or Marjorie Tallchief. I adored Yvonne Chouteau! What a lovely dancer and beautiful person. I also took classes with her at OU, as I was still dancing when I was teaching there.

[This message has been edited by Victoria Leigh (edited February 27, 2001).]

Hi Victoria,

I too studied with you and partnered Janet Combs in Nutcracker for a few years. Do you remember me? Jim Akman aka Jemil Akman.