This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Eva Evdokimova

Lovebird

I saw her as a guest artist with various European companies in the States, and I know she often appeared as a partner for Nureyev on his marathon tours both in the States and elsewhere. I recall her as rather long limbed with somewhat angular and distinctive facial features, but my memories are very dim...For example I'm certain that I saw her in Giselle, but honestly don't remember the performances very well and am not quite sure if I saw her with a company from Berlin, the Festival Ballet, or both.

I'm posting because I do remember a performance of Miss Julie that was just fabulous (though I'm still not sure which company she was appearing with) -- I even recall that a critic in Ballet Review who had otherwise not much admired Evdokimova gave the performance a rather striking though very backhanded compliment (something to the effect that, in playing this horrible, unattractive mess of a character Evdokimova had, at last, found a role that perfectly suited her talents -- the exact quote, which I have long since forgotten, was even nastier and, to be honest, funnier). Anyway, I thought the snarkiness was very uncalled for, but couldn't help laughing a little since the remarks did catch something about how really spot on the portrayal seemed, at least to me who had never seen the ballet before. She just inhabited the role in a very unabashed way... Anyway, I wish my memories were more 'spot on,' so any help filling in the above would be welcome...

I never knew she danced Miss Julie, it doesn't seem to be a role that I readily identify her with :blink: . The comment seems rather mean. I think she was a principal with the Berlin Opera Ballet, but she guested a lot. I also find that many dancers that are admired in Germany are not well received in U.S. I think it's a question of different tastes.