This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Please, please, Mr. Vilar

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 11:47 PM

For Balanchine's 100th birthday, could you please give us a present?

How about bringing "Jewels" with Paris Opera Ballet doing "Emeralds," New York City Ballet doing "Rubies" and the Kirov doing "Diamonds"?

#2 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 12:17 PM

Oh, Alexandra, what a great idea.....
at the risk of seeming too greedy, though, couldn't we just ask for a Balanchine Centenary and not put any company/casting/coaching restrictions on our request? You can certainly say that as loyal balletomanes, we all have *plenty* of opinions!

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 12:23 PM

If it's Vilar, it is the Kirov. Although, I suppose, that by funding improvements to the Royal Opera House & Kennedy Center buildings, Vilar is indirectly benifitting all troupes that play those houses, too.

Who are the 'company angels' of NYCB & POB, at present? Do those two companies have their own Vilars...or just large groups of 'Baby Vilars'?

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 12:34 PM

Ah, but with my hat trick, Vilar could spread his angel wings and benefit ballet as a whole smile.gif

I'm all for a Balanchine Celebration, Juliet. All the ballets, revivals of lost ones, films, videos, chats with ballerinas. But I still want to see "Jewels" danced in the native language of the music smile.gif

#5 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 02:29 PM

Not to be a party pooper, but do we have any evidence Vilar likes Balanchine at all? We know he likes Gergiev and Michael Kaiser and the Met. Will there be an atrium involved? Can we put his name somewhere? Maybe we could call it the Vilar Celebration of Balanchine. . .

#6 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 02:39 PM

So? We can build an atrium. Put it in the pot with the rest of the Lincoln Center rehab plans!

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:39 PM

I don't know or care whether he likes Balanchine or not. Great patrons of the arts are always on the lookout for imaginative ways to show their support. This impending centennial offers many opportunities smile.gif

#8 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 06:29 PM

You may not care whether Vilar likes or dislikes something, but I'm quite sure he does. I know that he states vigorously he gives without strings, but nonetheless, I see his giving as being very, very directed. Fine and dandy, it's his money, but we get what he wants to see, and if he ain't interested, the checkbook does not come out.

#9 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 12:28 AM

Ah, but how could he resist giving, to the ages, The Vilar Definitive Multinational Jewels? Better than a building. Buildings get bombed, memories remain smile.gif

#10 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 02:10 AM

We have gotto get you into fundraising, Alexandra!

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 02:36 AM

Okay. You'll find me cheap, but hardworking and imaginative. biggrin.gif

#12 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 06:11 AM

"dare i say it? a CABINET post!..."

#13 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 07:30 AM

Ann Bass is a bit of a 'company angel' for NYCB. More so Irene Diamond, but she's more involved with new works, or maybe that's where she has been directed. I'd certainly give money to a NYCB fund that is for reviving old or lost works.

Is the Vilar's donation for the Kirov Opera to come for 10 straight years as well? If so, I guess you could say that the ballet comes as a by-product of the Opera and Orchestra visits. Just as well. Vilar also is on the board of the "White Nights Festival."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):