This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Joffrey dancers

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 September 2002 - 08:25 PM

I would love to come out to "the windy city" in October to see The Taming of the Shrew! Thanks so much for asking, but I'm afraid I will just have to see it through your eyes, Treefrog!

#17 G

G

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 September 2002 - 10:03 PM

Treefrog - I agree that the Joffrey production is much better in both artistic and production values than the Ruth Page production.

I didn't mean to imply that Joffrey moved to Chicago just because there was a Nutcracker opening in the Chicago dance scene. I think they moved to become the biggest fish in a smaller pond. But their timing was perfect.

McCormick Place expansion had been approved, and Arie Crown Theater was scheduled for long term remodeling. Even if Ruth Page had continued their production, they would have had to change venues to a more expensive theater. And I had been told that one of the reasons they decided to halt the production was that Chicago Tribune Charities was going to discontinue their sponsorship. In my opinion, they would have not been able to afford to continue at another venue.

I don't think any of this would have played into Joffrey's decision to move here, but I do think it has greatly helped with their financial stability.

My recollection is that Joffrey's first season at the new Rosemont Theater had approximately 19 performances. It was a long enough run that they still had 2 seperate children's casts to alternate performances (my daughter was in it that year).

G

#18 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 05:47 AM

G, I think we can also agree that everyone came out ahead in terms of venue. Neither Arie Crown nor Rosemont -- sterile, modern facilities -- can match the feel of the 1890's Auditorium Theatre, particularly for the Nutcracker.

#19 Guest_tournout_*

Guest_tournout_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 September 2002 - 05:58 PM

i performed in the ruth page production at arie crown theater for 5 or 6 years...

my recollection is that G is correct...

the joffery's relocation to the windy city was most fortuitous, timing-wise (and otherwise)...

there was an overlap of both nutcrackers for a couple of years...and...i also recall that chicago tribune charities withdrew their sponsorship of the ruth page production...irrespective of the reasons for such withdrawal...there is no question that chicago audiences love the joffery production, as it is wonderful...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):