This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I saw the show during late previews. I had very mixed feelings about the show. The portions of the show which recounted the making of Shuffle Along were very entertaining and engaging. However, the book for the portion of the show (second act) which recounted the history of what ultimately happened to these performers later in life became tedious and went on for too long. The musical numbers and tap dance numbers were fantastic. All of the performances were first rate. I'm really very surprised that they are closing the show simply because Audra is unable to perform due to her unanticipated pregnancy. Brian Stokes Mitchell, Billy Porter and the other leads are superb. This was a very lavish production, with a large cast. I feel sorry that the fate and jobs of all these performers is apparently tied to the availability of one actress.

Audra must feel pretty awful to know that she is the cause of so many people losing their jobs and their investment.

And I was hoping that it would have a tour, which would make it much more possible for me to see it. I'd heard that Savion Glover was scheduled to perform starting later in the run, and am very surprised that his presence wouldn't be enough of a draw to deal with the loss of McDonald.

(and yes, I imagine she's feeling pretty conflicted about the situation)

McDonald was always supposed to leave the show, but only for the summer when it was thought the box office would be strong enough for the show to survive without her. Now she’ll be out for the fall and winter, too – not good.

The show was also, inevitably, run over by the Hamilton freight train at the Tonys, not even winning for best choreography, which was something of a surprise.

They'll close at a loss, but by closing sooner rather than later the investors will get some portion of their money back. I'm sorry for all the performers who will be out of work.

I agree with pretty much everything abatt said. (I too saw it in a late preview.) There is so much talent and joy on stage, so much pure pleasure to be had, it's a shame the whole show isn't quite good enough to keep the crowds coming in. (With his book, Wolfe begins to seem like the kind of obsessed fanboy who just can't keep himself from telling you every little fact he has learned about the the original "Shuffle Along.") Nevertheless, I plan to see it again before it closes. I'm a gigantic Audra McDonald fan, and it's fun to watch her having so much fun. If you're in New York, try and get a ticket--send the wonderful company off on a string of sold-out houses. They deserve to be cheered.