Moscow Festival Balletdoes anyone know anything about this company?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Greetings, fellow BalletLovers,

This company will perform Giselle in March in the Capital District at the Proctor's Theatre.  Does anyone know anything about them?  I believe I may have seen them at The Egg at the Empire State Plaza a few years ago, but I could swear they had a different name, which is escaping me right now.  The AD is Sergei Radchenko.   I would appreciate any info you can provide about your experiences seeing them.  Thank you.  ~ Karen

#2 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Quite possibly... Isn't this the outfit that sometimes sends out a group called "Russian National Ballet" and sometimes called "Moscow Festival Ballet" (perhaps sending both ensembles out simultaneously to different part of the globe)? If so, the quality of the dancing is often quite good but the production values are a bit shoestring, and both in a state one might expect from a whirlwind tour of one night stands throught the college & regional venue arts presenters. Please correct me if I've confused them with someone else. Generally they present better ballet than one might usually expect to see in these venues though perhaps not as well put together as one of the top regional American companies. These venues can get in the top modern dance ensembles but ballet seems to pose different problems... Not sure why... I wonder if it is that the unions protect American ballet dancers better than the Russians? But if so, why do we get such top quality modern dance? Perhaps it is because of the repertory offered by the Russians... Or the lure of the name? Baffles me. But I must say some of the dancers are beautiful and well worth the ticket. Just don't imagine the sets and staging to be as good as the dancers' technique.

#3 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Amy, yes!  That's the name of the company I saw at the Egg in Albany, NY - Russian National Ballet.  I saw Les Sylphides and Tchaikovsky's Romeo & Juliet.  Thank you.  I believe I will check out that performance of Giselle.    The dancing was very nice, as I remember, but the sets were just ok - Les Sylphides was better, in my opinion, than the R& J.   My husband, Joe, who was weaned on NYCB, was not terribly impressed, however.   He felt the company was lethargic and unimaginative.  However, if these young dancers are performing one night stands, maybe they deserve a break, right?  I appreciate your insightful comments.   

~ Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):