This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

AIR TWYLA!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Apparently they are going to live-stream part of the upcoming lecture-demonstration.  They've been live-streamed at the Guggenheim, but this is a first for the company at home.

From the press release:

Pacific Northwest Ballet to Live-Stream a Portion of Lecture-Demonstration with Twyla Tharp

Tune in to PNB.org/LIVE

6:30 pm Pacific (9:30 pm East Coast)

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

SEATTLE, WA — As Pacific Northwest Ballet gears up for the opening of its season with AIR TWYLA, the company has announced that a portion of its lecture-demonstration, TWYLA THARP ON STAGE, will be live-streamed (via PNB.org/LIVE) for audiences who are unable to attend the September 25 evening at McCaw Hall.

TWYLA THARP ON STAGE will feature Ms. Tharp, PNB’s first artist-in-residence, in conversation with Artistic Director Peter Boal and New Orleans music legend Allen Toussaint, as well as the company rehearsing excerpts from Brief Fling and a run-thru of Waiting at the Station. (Please note that the live-stream will only include a portion of the lecture-demonstration: The rehearsal of Waiting at the Station will not be included in the live-stream.  To see the full lecture-demonstration including Waiting at the Station, tickets are available through the PNB Box Office, 206.441.2424 or pnb.org.)

With AIR TWYLA, its third all-Tharp program, PNB adds two more works by the choreographer into its repertory, including a third world premiere, the jazzy Waiting at the Station. Said PNB artistic director Peter Boal, “Twyla is truly one of the great innovators of our time. We are so pleased to welcome her back to our studios and to our city once again. I’m especially looking forward to the opportunity to hear Twyla talk about the creation process during the on-stage lecture demonstration.”

AIR TWYLA presents a trio of works by Twyla Tharp. The program includes the world premiere of Waiting at the Station with a commissioned score by Mr. Toussaint, the Scottish-inspired Brief Fling (a PNB premiere), and Tharp’s homage to Ol’ Blue Eyes and ballroom dance, the unforgettable Nine Sinatra Songs. AIR TWYLA runs for only seven performances, September 27 – October 6 at Seattle Center’s Marion Oliver McCaw Hall. Tickets may be purchased by calling 206.441.2424, online at pnb.org, or in person at the PNB Box Office at 301 Mercer Street.

For more information about AIR TWYLA, click here.

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

A short promo with flashes of Tharp's new "Waiting at the Station," which is set to Allen Toussaint's music.  Mr. Toussaint will be performing at the shows first weekend.

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,470 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

I just received Weekend 2 casting, and I consolidated the spreadsheets for both weeks:

Attached File  Air Twyla Rep 1 performance casting week 2.xls   41.5KB   14 downloads

The additions to second week Principal casting are:

In "Brief Fling,"

In the "Blue" couple, Jerome Tisserand partners Lesley Rausch on Friday-Sunday, 4-6 October.  He partners Kaori Nakamura on Thursday, 3 October.

In "Waiting for the Station,"

In Couple 2, Jonathan Porretta partners Laura (Gilbreath) Tisserand on Sunday, 6 October.  He's paired with Rachel Foster in all other performances.

#19 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

In Couple 2, Jonathan Porretta partners Laura (Gilbreath) Tisserand on Sunday, 6 October.  He's paired with Rachel Foster in all other performances.

Really?!? Now there's a height difference if ever I heard one.

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Really?!? Now there's a height difference if ever I heard one.

I saw them in a runthrough last week and it seems to work just fine.  They're dancing fairly character-driven parts, which helps with that.

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

I don't know how much of the lecture was on the live stream (I was in the theater) but I have to say that Tharp really knows how to work a room.  She has a reputation as a feisty interview, and does not suffer fools, but she was poised and prepared in a way that few choreographers I've seen in this context have been. 

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,470 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

There has been some cast shifting. Laura Tisserand danced with Jonathan Porretta in "Waiting for the Station" all three performances this past weekend. Rachel Foster makes her debut in the role on Thursday, as well as in Brief Fling" with Eric Hipolito Jr, and Carli Samuelson and Kyle/Davis debut as the other Red couple on Thursday. Friday, Angelica Generosa, Price Suddarth, and Steven Loch join Ezra Thomson in the Greens. On Saturday, Generosa debuts in "Forget Domani" in "Sinatra."

Alastair Macaulay was in the house last weekend, and those who know what Stella Abrera looks like saw her in the audience to see her husband, Sasha Radetsky, perform in "Brief Fling" on Saturday night.

(Sorry for the original typos: I was posting from my phone.)

#23 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

Abrera must have been a bit jet-lagged then, i suppose, as she danced "His Friend's Wife" in THE MOOR'S PAVANE last night at Fall for Dance at NY's City Center.

i know that Alastair Macaulay is back again in the city, so jet setting may be the theme of the weekend.

#24 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

There was a big chunk of the audience that had come from other time zones!

#25 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

NYT Alastair Macaulay finally likes Carrie Imler!

http://www.nytimes.c...?ref=dance&_r=0

Nobody who sees “Waiting at the Station” would want the piece presented without Carrie Imler, whose character is like nothing else in ballet. She breezes onstage in a dress and cardigan, vaulting powerfully and rippling to the music, a housewife with the vivifying force of a minor goddess. Her mettlesome spirit might be the stuff of comic soap opera. Kiyon Gaines, playing her husband, keeps showing too much interest in another woman, and the robust Ms. Imler is far from amused. But thanks to Ms. Tharp, Ms. Imler sails through with an intoxicating, vehement musical impulse that turns this near caricature into a vital force.

#26 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Unfortunately I haven't been able to see this production due to work commitments, I hope to see it this coming Saturday evening, but I am waiting on my work schedule to be finalized.  My sister might have to see it in my place. 

My mother did attend on Saturday Sept 28 matinee and confirmed a standing O and the mystery of the train's appearance at the end of the new production.  

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,470 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Kiyon Gaines said in the Saturday evening Q&A that Tharp worked a lot with him on his acting and react.ing in those scenes.

I wish I had been able to see Rachel Foster in the role that Laura Tisserand danced for one performance first weekend. I can imagine her in it. She!ms cast for Thurs-Sat this coming weekend.

#28 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

I have recently moved a couple of hours north of Seattle to an island where the ferry schedule forces me to spend the night in Seattle when I go to the ballet.  As a consequence, I will be restricting myself to three 2nd weekend performances from now on.  I know that sounds like a lot, but I've been so spoiled over the years -- going when I wanted, however often as I wanted -- that I feel limited blushing.gif.

Anyway, the move has kept me from this board for a while; but I'm back, and I'm greatly looking forward to this weekend's PNB performances.  In particular, the casting for 9 Songs in one of Helene's postings really caught my eye.  What an interesting set of couples.....some combos I have never seen, and maybe never even hoped to see.  But alas, my new restriction means that already I've missed this cast (which I would have seen for sure in my old life!)  The good news is that life on this island is as close to paradise as it gets!!!!! yahoo.gif

RAUSCH
GRANT

DEC
BOLD

CHAPMAN
MOORE

IMLER
PORRETTA

RICARD
CRUZ

MULLIN
GRIFFITHS

NAKAMURA
ORZA

#29 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

It was indeed an excellent collection, and I really enjoyed it.  (not to rub it in or anything...)

#30 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

OUCH....wink1.gifwink1.gifsmile.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):