• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

Today my classic music station posted this link on their FB page - Greece's national symphony & chorale are being shut down.  They gave a performance and here is a clip of Elgar's Nimrod and the Greek National Anthem:

https://www.youtube....v=aUmubmoEjHo#!

Obviously the TV camera operator closed in on the faces of the most emotional musicians and chorusters.  Imagine if this was the London Symphony Orchestra shutting down entirely - or any other beloved institution.  These are clearly the artists who don't earn glamorous salaries - they do this because they love music.  

While we may disagree with some of the Greek politicians' policies, I grieve that so many institutions are suffering - not just in Greece but also in Spain (Barcelona Ballet) and Italy (everything but La Scala). 

Then in places like Egypt - the problem is the fundamentalists running the government.  The Cairo Opera House recently announced a strike in support of the fired AD, in an incredibly emotional moment on the stage when the curtain rose for the opera Aida:

https://www.youtube....h?v=lMlAm5dMzz0

I wish I knew what to do that would actually be helpful.  

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

And I believe their national television network was also shuttered.

#3 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Awful news. Greece, the home of the muses!

#4 Janneke

Janneke

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

I find it shocking, sad and very upsetting. The closure of the national television station is especially extreme (imo).

#5 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

well, a small light in Egypt - the military has deposed the Muslim Fundamentalist President and his Islam-oriented Constitution.  Hopefully Egypt will get a new democratic government and constitution, and appoint good leaders with funding for their cultural institutions. 

#6 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

More sad news, NYT reports that some stolen paintings may have been burnt by the mother of a suspect.  Her logic at the time was that the government could not convict her son if there was no evidence.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

Maybe not a crime against humanity, but definitely a crime against all future generations who will not be able to see the works. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):