Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Education might help :)

#32 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Symphonic Music, Opera and Ballet are alike in that you have to "lean in" to appreciate them. I would probably take someone to a comedy for their first non-Nut ballet. But I wouldn't take them to see Raymonda or Onegin.

On the other hand, I've encouraged friends to come to the ballet with me, and they've responded "Well I saw the Mariinsky version of Swan Lake when I was in London, and since I've seen the best of the best, I don't see the point in going to a lesser production".

#33 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

La Imler: she eats fouettes for breakfast

#34 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

And her chaine turns as well !

#35 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Oh, that is amazing. That port de bras really works there.

Looking forward to see this in context tomorrow!

#36 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

There's is still time to see four of the five casts this weekend:

Today (Sat) at 1pm (Korbes/Cruz)
Tonight at 7:30pm (Rausch/Bold)
Tomorrow (Sun) matinee at 1pm (Imler/Herd)
Tomorrow evenung at 7pm (Nakamura/Orza)

I've seen all but Korbes/Cruz so far, but you can go wrong with any of these casts. This may be the most depth for a major classical ballerina role that I've seen the Company field. (Sadly, it's too late to see Chapman/Tisserand.)

Last night we had a bit of unintended excitement: Peter Boal did a front-of-curtain announcement that Casey Herd had an injury and Batkhurel Bold would be Imler's partner. :flowers: to Bold. There's only a pause between Acts III and IV, and I'm guessing Boyd Bender worked some PT magic during Act III, because Herd reappeared for Act IV, which has a long PDD for Odette and Siegfried. Only Herd appeared at the curtain call. (Perhaps they shared the same costume?)

#37 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Carrie Imler is a national treasure.....and did she ever shine and sparkle last night. It may have been the most fantastic performance I have ever seen of anything. And to think she is ours, all ours. I worship at her feet. There are dancers, and then there are artists who dance. Last night Carrie was all art. I had the feeling I was seeing something that is simply not possible on this earth. Brava to this extraordinary artist!

#38 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Carrie Imler is a national treasure.....and did she ever shine and sparkle last night. It may have been the most fantastic performance I have ever seen of anything. And to think she is ours, all ours. I worship at her feet. There are dancers, and then there are artists who dance. Last night Carrie was all art. I had the feeling I was seeing something that is simply not possible on this earth. Brava to this extraordinary artist!

I'm still bummed out that we New Yorkers didn't see her in anything real.

#39 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

PNB announced last chance discounts on FB today:

https://www.pnb.org/promo/lastchance

[font=Georgia][size=3]Please enjoy 20% off tickets to Swan Lake performances below + Special 30% Discount offer for Sunday Night 4/21! (Prices displayed reflect discount. Discount does not apply to lowest priced tickets.)[/size][/font]

#40 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

The Sunday night performance (tomorrow) is a non-subscription performance, and there are usually great tickets to be had for them that are normally assigned to subscribers. I had a prime Orchestra seat this afternoon, another non-subscription performance.

#41 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Carrie is dancing Sunday afternoon, and unfortunately few good tickets exist.......but I will hang from the rafters if I have to.

#42 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Second Sunday afternoon is a subscription performance. The evening one is an additional performance, as were the two performances first Sunday and today's matinee.

#43 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

PNB posted some footage of her in rehearsal in the Third Act.

#44 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

On Friday night, Imler performed that sequence almost exactly like she did in the video, which was also linked up te page of this thread. (PNB tweeted earlier in the week that there were already 4K views.) There were some singles in the middle, then back to back single-single-double with arms overhead.

The chainees were incredible, too: she's like a whirlwind.

#45 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

The sequence is indeed formidable, but the truly impressive thing is that she's doing it all for a reason -- to pull Siegfried into her net. Bakthurel Bold was her partner for that act, and he was well and truly caught up in the arc of her performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):