This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tour de Force 2011SCFTA

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

They are even letting you choose your seats with that priority rush offer--I went with their first offer of middle orchestra, center. Not too shabby.

If you go to the Segerstrom site, center orchestra, all the way back to row P, is listed at $200. After that, $160, then $120. If the "prime rush" ticketholders talk to their seat neighbors tomorrow night, there will be some very unhappy people! I think it will be a long time before we see "Tour de Force III."

#17 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

Well, what did everyone think?

Honestly, though it was a blow to the Center, the loss of Osipova and Vasiliev didn't affect the overall show. In fact if they were there, their presence would have dominated everything and instead we got to enjoy an evening with a focus on many dancers rather than just those two (my opinion, of course, based on how other things with Osipova and Vasiliev seem to go at the Center).

Thoughts:

Peck/de Luz: This was my first look at Peck and she was a delight, but I think she was outshined by de Luz. I haven't seen him since his ABT days and he was just as wonderful and as clean of a dancer as I remembered. Peck was a blisteringly fast the whole night and de Luz looked like he was having a great time with her.

Vishneva/Gomes: The Camillas pas de deux was wonderful (and had the only live music), and I imagine even better in the context of the whole ballet. Please tour with this ABT!! The Bigonzetti in the first act was drudge, the only interesting thing about it was that it was being dance by Vishneva and Gomes.

Cote/Ogden: Cote is a beautiful dancer, I would love to see him in more. They were really fabulous in the final pas from Onegin which was really well acted out, especially in the context of a gala. I didn't really care about the Cinderella pas, but it was nicely danced.

De Bana/other guy: Boring. And the piece in the second act had the WORST music. I saw someone near me put in earplugs.

Markowskaja/Gelber: In the Middle... was well done, though lacked the attack that one associates with Guillem in the piece, though you can say the same about most dancers (even the most acclaimed ones) who make an attempt at it.

The Matvienkos: What troopers. After doing three hardcore pas de deux, Anastasia looked a little worn out but Denis was still wonderful, whipping out really lovely pirouette combinations that stopped on a dime. I think the quickness of the footwork in the Balanchine Sylvia pas eluded both of them (her legs are too long and hyperextended to go as fast as required), but it was nice to see all the same. A lady near me said "They've been good the whole night" and they really were--it's not easy to have the weight on you to open and close the first Act and close the show when people were expecting someone else.

Eifman excerpts: Actually really fun. Though I'm not a huge Eifman fan, I'd love to see the whole Who's Who (based on Some Like It Hot). Though it was less "ballet," and more in a jazzy-Broadway style it was fun and a great way to break up the monotony of pas-de-deux after pas-de-deux.

What happened to the Proust excerpts? I assume they got cut due to Denis picking up the extra pas, but I was really looking forward to seeing this! Disappointing!

#18 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:24 PM

Here is Paul Hodgins' review in the OC Register:
http://www.ocregiste.../-298483--.html

OK, so the Segerstrom Center's balletpalooza, Tour de Force II, wasn't quite as star-studded as originally advertised Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev, two marquee-topping names from the Bolshoi, had to drop out but I didn't hear anybody at Thursday's blowout complaining that they didn't get their money's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):