This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ChoreographyWhat do you look for when you watch?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:28 PM

[And this i really do disagree with Patrick over, great ballet is of course inextricably linked to the music, all the masterpieces of course have scores but they are intrinsically, intellectually and emotionally complete without music

That makes little or no sense to me, if they're 'inextricably linked', then they're not 'complete without it' (unless they don't have one or don't need one, or another one 'will do' or 'we heard it with the score and now we can just see it by itself').

- their purpose is not to be a physical representation of a score and nothing else.

Of course they're not.

#17 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:12 AM

[And this i really do disagree with Patrick over, great ballet is of course inextricably linked to the music, all the masterpieces of course have scores but they are intrinsically, intellectually and emotionally complete without music

That makes little or no sense to me, if they're 'inextricably linked', then they're not 'complete without it' (unless they don't have one or don't need one, or another one 'will do' or 'we heard it with the score and now we can just see it by itself').

- their purpose is not to be a physical representation of a score and nothing else.

Of course they're not.

Sorry, my bad I meant intrinsically not inextricably.

#18 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:25 AM

Here is a related thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):