Resignation of Kathryn Bennetts, AD of Royal Ballet of Flanders

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

There is a facebook site now Save the Royal Ballet of Flanders.

http://www.facebook....106874442712339

In a couple of days they have almost 3000 fans. They have just put out statistics on the site. The most fans are from the U.S. - 414 followed by 206 from Germany and Belgium a disappointing 198!

I am very fearful that Kathryn and all of her dancers are wasting their efforts and their passion trying to make things work in a country that, as Marc said in the previous post, has no interest in ballet.
My wish is starting to be that Kathryn and her dancers including my daughter find positions where they will be appreciated and supported.

#17 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:36 AM

Belgium is now ranking second in statistics showing a breakdown by country of support for the company. In just a few days the Save the Royal Ballet of Flanders has almost 4000 "likes".

The latest announcement on the site:

On Monday evening ( November 1, 2010) there will be a website for an online petition against the fusion of the Royal Ballet Of Flanders and the Flemish opera.

Here is the future website address : www.royalballetofflanderssupportgroup.net .

Please be so kind to pass this information to ALL your friends and have them sign it!

#18 loganberry

loganberry

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

This isn't the impression given - the impression is that the Intendant will have artistic control over the ballet company and that is the problem.

6 million euros is nothing to the government when you consider that the ballet company is actually the best ambassador on the international scene that Flanders has. Who else has heard of anything else from Belgium, especially Flanders?

In a country wracked by political chaos and alleged corruption on a huge scale in all manner of walks of life, you'd think they would be able to see the "outreach" work that Kathryn Bennetts and her company do.

In response to other posts - of course Ms Bennetts was emotional, and speaking in a forthright manner. If more people did that, showed they really care, and were prepared to point out that the Emperor doesn't have any clothes on, then we'd all be better off.

#19 kitcat

kitcat

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:44 PM

That's one righteous rant! And she sounds like a very smart lady who obviously has blood, sweat and tears invested in the company. How very sad, I hope things work out in the end. All the best to her and the company.

#20 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:28 AM

Here is a letter of support from William Forsythe speaking about what the company and Kathryn represents and what he feels about what the Belgian government is doing,

http://www.facebook....7883.1242973561

The dancers and Kathryn are still looking for support. There is an online petition which they are asking supporters to sign. A request for donations by the site creators appears after the vote is added which can be ignored. There are a number of clips as well on the site to see what the company is doing.

http://www.royalball...pportgroup.net/

Thanks
mmded

#21 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

Besides getting ready for a run of Artifact this weekend the company has been working hard outside the studio to keep the issue in the public eye. Some of the dancers did a flashmob last weekend and some dancers were filmed in short clips that are up on youtube and one of the support facebookk sites - http://www.facebook....0016042424&ap=1

Here is the flashmob link: and a sample of the dancers' videos

#22 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

This is the latest news for the Royal Ballet of Flanders from one of the support sites:

The Royal Ballet of Flanders was granted a hearing at the Flemish Parliament on dec. 16th. We need the petition to be signed by as many people as possible by that time, so please, tell all you friends about the petition!!
http://www.royalball...pportgroup.net/
www.royalballetofflanderssupportgroup.net

The link explains about the petition.

The company just did a run of Artifact that was very well received and attended by many first time ballet goers including Flemish politicians. Please pass along the information to as many as you can who might consider signing the support petition in advance of the hearing.

Thanks very much
mmded

#23 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

Just bumping this up - the hearing is this week with the Flemish government and as many signatures as possible are needed. The situation was mentioned under politics in the latest Dance Europe issue. Meanwhile the company is starting a run this week of Swan Lake choreographed by Marcia Haydee who wrote a letter of support which I have copied below.

My dear miss Joke, normally I don't need to introduce myself, any person who would know anything about arts would also know what I have done and do in the ballet world. But reading all about what is happening to Kathryn Bennetts and the Ballet van Vlaanderen I realize that we are dealing with people with no knowledge about arts whatsoever. My name is prof. Dr. Hc. Marcia haydee, and I was during many years (thirty six years) principal dancer and artisitc director with the stuttgart ballet. I can not believe that such a country as belgium, does not appreciate and give value to the wonderful ballet company they have. It has become one of the best companies in the world and all choreographers with myself included have had a complete joy working with this wonderful dancers. And all this is happenig because of one person: Kathryn Bennetts. A company is as good as its head, and there is no better head than Kathryn Bennetts. It would be a disaster if belgium would not be aware of all this and not protect, support and be proud to have such a wonderful ballet company and a very special womanthat has achieved all this. And do not forget that the Ballet van Vlaanderen during these years has been the very best ambassador from belgium around the world. I hope belgium will offer Kathryn benntts all what she needs to continue the wonderful work with this great company. At the moment I am the artistic director of the santiago ballet in chile and all my dancers support Kathryn benntts artistic direction and the Ballet van Vlaanderen.

There are many wonderful letters on the Flanders company website and lots of signatures many of them well known in the ballet world supporting the company and ballet in general in this time of uncertainty.

#24 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

There is an article on the ongoing situation in the New York Times by Roslyn Sulcas.

http://www.nytimes.c....html?src=twrhp

The company is currently over half way through a very busy season dance wise and the lack of any sort of resolution has to wear on the dancers and the artistic staff.

#25 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

I am having difficulty editing my link so if anyone can help me out. I have tried to post the correct one twice and it reverts the the one that doesn't work. The correct link is on the sister site Ballet Talk for Dancers.

#26 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

NY Times article on Royal Ballet of Flanders

Hope above works...

#27 mmded

mmded

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):