• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

Apparently, their starting positions were somewhat different, and to the extent the official announcement was willing to share that difference with us fans, I find that refreshing as compared to the wallpaper that is often used to paper over such differences.

It may be refreshing, but it is highly unusual, and in a world where these kind of things are often as structured as a grand pas de deux, this change was very noticeable.

I don't usually like to parse press releases in the same way CIA analysts used to examine photos of the reviewing stands during the Soviet May Day parade, but this really jumped out at me.

#17 Gracilis Aurea

Gracilis Aurea

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

I find it disconcerting and rather funny that so many people seem to be offended or taken aback by the fact that a dancer was able to publicly express her feelings of disappointment in not being re-engaged by the company she's danced with for 24 years. How many dancers have quietly signed off on their "retirements" so as not to cause waves? Too many. Seems to me that many people want dancers to be seen and not heard, an unfortunate and patronizing position to hold. Dancers are not boys and girls, they are men and women who are dedicated, intelligent, mature artists and they have voices and points of view and may not always agree with the powers that be. Why shouldn't the audience who has loved and enjoyed Ariana's performances know that she wished to finish her career with PNB after 25 years with the company instead of 24 years? I too found it refreshing that Ariana's perspective was included in the press release. Whatever the reasons for Peter Boal's "difficult" decision to have this be her farewell season there was obviously agreement in presenting two sides in the press release. This is a move forward into the 21st century in my opinion.

#18 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for your eloquent post, gracilis aurea. I'm with you on this.

P.S. Love your screen name.

#19 bbh

bbh

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thank you Gracilis Aurea, I agree whole-heartedly.

Thank you Ariana for the 24 years of magnificent performances. You will be missed!!!

#20 Gracilis Aurea

Gracilis Aurea

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Bart and bbh. I'm happy to know I wasn't alone in my reaction to some of the reactions to the press release : )
I've been reading Ballet Alert off and on for a long time but this topic actually compelled me to register!

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

Moira Macdonald wrote a long article in yesterday's Seattle Times about Lallone's career with PNB with quotes from Lallone and Peter Boal.

Lallone will join Teatro ZinZanni!

Lallone says she's seen many Teatro ZinZanni productions, and is thrilled to make the company her new artistic home, just across the street from her old one. She bubbles over talking about it. "The whole thing is about entertainment and fun and bringing joy to people's lives and love and happiness — it's sort of contagious and you always leave the event feeling just nothing but joy and fun. There are a lot more theatrical things involved, as far as speaking or acting, and it's going to stretch me artistically. I'm looking forward to pushing my limits."

Congratulations to Lallone for this great opportunity :flowers:

#22 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

I have enjoyed Ms Lallone's performances over the past few years, and have not noticed any slips in performance level. I do think Teatro Zinzanni is a good "home" for her talents, and perhaps less taxing on her body than full time ballet for the reps of the big 5 regional American companies (PNB, Boston, Miami, San Francisco and Houston).

If PNB does Prodigal Son in the future, it will strange to see others as Siren. But perhaps she will stage for the Balanchine Trust and coach the next generation of long legged ice queens.

#23 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

Moira Macdonald wrote a long article in yesterday's Seattle Times about Lallone's career with PNB with quotes from Lallone and Peter Boal.

I posted the article in yesterday's Links.

There's no great mystery here, Lallone didn't want to leave, Boal had to indicate where the door was, and Lallone was ready to talk about it. It would be even more awkward to have a press release that pretended there were no difference of opinion if there was no agreement on what to say to the press, and it doesn't sound to me as if there was.

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:05 AM

There's no great mystery here, Lallone didn't want to leave, Boal had to indicate where the door was, and Lallone was ready to talk about it. It would be even more awkward to have a press release that pretended there were no difference of opinion if there was no agreement on what to say to the press, and it doesn't sound to me as if there was.

I can't cite another instance where a difference of opinion was addressed in a press release where there wasn't an immediate departure. The standard press release comes from the company, with a basic statement of fact ("Dancer X's last performance is/was this/last Sunday/the end of the season") or a statement of fact plus the company's, usually the AD's word of thanks to the dancer. I've never seen a quote from a dancer included that suggests any public ambiguity, but I'd be interested in seeing others like PNB's re: Lallone if they are considered standard.

I have enjoyed Ms Lallone's performances over the past few years, and have not noticed any slips in performance level.

On the contrary: she's been dancing as well as ever, which is a rarity for an important dancer. I can think of few Principals who left PNB or NYCB at the very top of their game towards the end of their career. Most were past their peak, although they continued to be valuable artists, and that includes Peter Boal.

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

A photo of Lallone and a short tribute has been published in Seattle Times "Picture This".

http://seattletimes....prmid=head_main

#26 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

A photo of Lallone and a short tribute has been published in Seattle Times "Picture This".

http://seattletimes....prmid=head_main

I love photographs that break the rules of photography as this one does. It's 'moving' in many senses.

I've never seen Lallone dance live, only on what has, over the years, become my favorite ballet DVD: PNB's Midsummer Night's Dream where, among a standout cast, she stands out as Hippolyta.

Best wishes to her in the future.

#27 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:20 AM

If PNB does Prodigal Son in the future, it will strange to see others as Siren.

I thought Lindsi Dec did a terrific job as Siren last time. Lindsi is not quite as tall as Ariana, but mighty close. I don't remember if Laura Gilbreath has ever done the Siren, but I do most emphatically remember Laura as the Peacock in the Nutcracker. as well as Laura's recent interpretation in the 2nd movement of Robbins' "Glass Pieces" (a similar sensuous role)......her tall Siren might rival Ariana's too. From where I sit, we are in good hands (legs??.... :wink:).

More directly on Lallone's departure, I can only join the chorus of fans sad to see her go. I've said elsewhere on this board that Ariana was the first dancer who grabbed me so strongly that I started to see her as a person instead of a idealized and generic dancer. Until Ariana, all dancers were essentially faceless to me. I loved to see their "other worldly" perfection, but I never stopped to think that each of them was an individual dancer with an individual and very distinctive style. Ariana changed all that for me. She broke the ice for me, and my "career" as a balletomane began. For that I will always be grateful to her.

I guess we could speculate endlessly about why Ariana and the others are leaving. My preferred guess is that we are on financially hard times. Some older dancers would have to retire in the not too distant future in any case, and certainly principals save the biggest bucks (not to mention opening up promotion possibilities all the way down to line). Perhaps as painful as it is to all of us (primarily to the dancers of course), the "right" decisions are being made. "Right" decisions can be very, very difficult to make sometimes, and it takes true leadership to make them. I'd like to think my guess is the correct one. Certainly no one is happy about all this.

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

Dec, Gilbreath, Korbes, and Lallone danced the role in the five performances I saw the last time PNB performed the ballet in 2007.

#29 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

Helene, your memory always astounds me.

#30 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

Memory -- no way! I have all of this written down, and I had to look it up :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):