This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT 2010-11 Season

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

The NYT usually have the New Season issue the Sunday after Labor Day. Any ideas on new productions-revivals (aside from Nutcracker and Bright Stream). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for La Fille.. and Onegin revivals.

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

According to the NY Times (in the upcoming Fall Season Preview portion of the Arts & Leisure section), ABT will present Ratmansky’s “Bright Stream” , Frederic Franklin’s staging of “Coppelia”, new ballets by Ratmansky and Wheeldon. There will also be a revival of Antony Tudor’s “Shadowplay.” And "there will be swan maidens, wicked stepsisters and sleeping beauties aplenty."

#3 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

And "there will be swan maidens, wicked stepsisters and sleeping beauties aplenty."

Sounds like there may be a Cinderella in the works. I wonder if they will revive the Kudelka version or do something different. As I recall both Reyes and Abrera had big successes with the Kudelka. And it's something that Julie Kent should still be able to be able to do a fine job with. (Hearing the inevitable but still sad news of Carreno's upcomming retirement, I thought of Julie; I think she is the only 40+ year old principal left in the company)

#4 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:28 AM

The NYT indicates that the period for the ABT Met 2011 season is May 16 through July 10.

Alistair M asks: "How much has Mr. Ratmansky been shaped by Soviet thinking? Will his 'Nutracker' reflect the Soviet view that 'The Nutcracker' is about a girl's growth from childhood to maturity? The traditional 'Nutcracker' suspends narrative in its second half. Will this 'Nutcracker' try to impose plot suspense .... on a score that resists it? If the production succeeds, it could prove a breakthrough not only for Mr. Ratmansky and Ballet Theater but also for the currently much-vexed cause of ballet as theatrical drama."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):