This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pacific Northwest Ballet - Casey Herd leaving

The company has released a note from AD Peter Boal that Herd is leaving the company at the end of the season, and is going to the Dutch National company. He was a guest artist there last autumn, and has been 'asked back' for a permanent position.

This is the first time someone has left the company for another gig (as opposed to retirement) since Boal took over the directorship -- I don't know whether to read anything into that or not.

The company has released a note from AD Peter Boal that Herd is leaving the company at the end of the season, and is going to the Dutch National company. He was a guest artist there last autumn, and has been 'asked back' for a permanent position.

This is the first time someone has left the company for another gig (as opposed to retirement) since Boal took over the directorship -- I don't know whether to read anything into that or not.

I wouldn't read into it. Dancers go to other companies for many reasons. Perhaps to dance different choreography, expand artistic possibilites or just wanting a change of scenery. The fact that dancers have not left in hords since Peter took (on their own or not) over speaks volumns for his management style and his artistic vision. What I find interesting are the NYCB dancers who are arriving...which doesn't surprise me.

sandik: I had a question. Did Le Yin retire or go to another company, as I notice he is no longer on the roster?

I'm not sure where he is now -- I know he was having knee troubles prior to Boal's first season (he danced a very witty Duo Concertant in an early program that year), but the company didn't make an official announcement about his leaving. I've Googled him a couple of times, but haven't seen any references to his post-PNB work.