This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Budding Starlets of the Royal Ballet

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 10 July 2000 - 10:20 AM

For those not familiar with the RB's rankings, Nunez has been promoted 3 levels in the company - from corps de ballet to the level below principal. It has come as a complete suprise to almost everyone, as she has only done a couple of small soloist roles at Covent Garden and is absolutely unknown to the general public.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 10 July 2000 - 11:06 AM

Fantastic news, Jane. Nunez must be truly special..on my 'must-see' list now.

- Jeannie

#18 Basilio17

Basilio17

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2000 - 08:55 PM

Does anyone know what happend to Kate Cornish? I know she had a scholarship to Royal that she won at Prix? Is she in the company yet? She is really talented and I haven't heard very much about her.

#19 jcaguioa

jcaguioa

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2000 - 12:56 PM

Paquita,
Persson is actaully scheduled to perform Prince Seigfried in Swan Lake next season with Leanne Benjamin! Thanks for the info, I'll certainly go and see him!
Nunez's Promotion isn't that unusual. Jaime Tapper is fairly unknown to the british public, yet Nunez's recent gala will have certainly rased her profile. Mr Dowell (Director of Royal) actually promoted her in tears of joy, her told her how regretful he was of not noticing her before and she should be performing Sugar Plum in Royal's winter season. The gala has been a great step to her career and she will be remembered for her performance, (thanks to Carlos).
Basilio17,
Kate Cornish has actually left Royal (School), and gone back to Austrailia to open a Nightclub with a new friend she met at Royal. She has now unfortuneately given up.
Jonny

#20 jcaguioa

jcaguioa

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2000 - 01:04 PM

Jane,
Being in London did you come and see the school's performances at Holland Park? Marianella danced Raymonda there last week. Are you coming to the Opera House to see the Matinee? Post me I'd love to Know!
Jonny

#21 jcaguioa

jcaguioa

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2000 - 01:10 PM

Helena!
Today I found out that James Wilkie (member on this site) will dance the lead in "Pas de dix" on the Matinee. You're lucky to see him as he is certainly next in line for a contract! But remember that he only found out today so he has only had a week to rehearse this role!
Jonny

#22 Guy Fletcher

Guy Fletcher

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2000 - 02:16 PM

Helena, do watch out for James on the 19th, it is a great oppurtunity for him and it makes me very happy that he will be dancing on this matinee because he deserves a solo dance of this type, which will show him off and introduce him to the British public, who i'm sure will adore him and his great potential to become England's finest male dancer to date!
Basilio, it is a shame but Kate Cornish has indeed given up. The year didn't start off too well for her, I think she put on a bit of weight due to injury and got depressed. She quickly lost stamina and motivation and the year she spent here at royal was devoted mainly to partying and drinking rather than to what it should have been.
It is a loss to the ballet world.

#23 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 11 July 2000 - 03:47 PM

Jonny - no, I'm afraid I didn't got to Holland Park - but I will definitely be at the ROH matinee!

#24 jcaguioa

jcaguioa

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 July 2000 - 07:37 AM

Jane- Brill! James,Guy and I will certainly think of you at the performance.

#25 Basilio17

Basilio17

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2000 - 10:52 PM

That is really sad about what happend to Kate. She had so much potential. Do you know what her injury was? She went to Royal because she won a scholarship to go there at Prix. So many people could have taken that scholarship and used it well. Oh well, I guess that is life though.

#26 The Bard's Ballerina

The Bard's Ballerina

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2000 - 05:59 AM

I'm seconding Libby's thank you. The Royal Ballet is coming to the Kennedy Center next year, so at least I'll be familiar with some of the names, if not the faces. Please keep us updated!

#27 Guy Fletcher

Guy Fletcher

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2000 - 12:43 PM

Basilio, I'm not sure what Kate's injury was, but I don't think it was major. Anyway, I heard a rumour this week that the nightclub plan isn't working out and that Kate is still taking classes (not sure where) I will ask around and tell you more soon.
Libby and Bard Balerina, I'm glad you are enjoying this post, if you have any questions about the topic I'm sure we will do our best to answer!

#28 Helena

Helena

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 July 2000 - 03:27 AM

Congratulations to James, and very best wishes to all involved in Wednesday's Royal Ballet School matinee. I'm really excited at the thought of seeing all these future stars. Enjoy yourselves - I know I shall.

#29 jcaguioa

jcaguioa

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2000 - 04:58 AM

Basilio17, Kate did indeed look very promising when she arrived in London yet I did wonder a little about her physique. Some peolpe peered through the windows saying "who's that?" and were surpized when the reply was "the girl who won the prix". She had put on weight during an injury and looked a litte more built than the other girls. Her line was distracted by this and she sruggled to move her torso and get her legs up. Despite this she had a beautiful quality about her and everybody saw the large amount of potential she had. I think if she persisted she would have been sucsessful enough for Royal, but unfortuneatly she lost the passion to dance, she lost confidence and stamina and I agree that this story is an extermely unfortunate one!

#30 Guy Fletcher

Guy Fletcher

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2000 - 11:13 AM

Yet another amazing promotion in the Royal Ballet which was predicted on this site: At only 18, Alina Cojicaru, the stunning Romanian dancer with the athletic ability and spectacular artistry has been promoted to first soloist!! she has made the same 3 rank hop that Marianella did only a week before, but unlike Marianella who has been in the company for almost 2 years she joined Royal only a few months ago! She sure is sky-rocketing to the top, and the distance between her and Marianella on the ladder to stardom is becoming smaller and smaller. These two very different (and I do mean different!) dancers have almost equal amounts of talent and dedication in astronomical quantities, which in my opinion are the two most important qualities you need to make it. It will be interesting to see what kind of roles they will be getting within the repertory and how they handle them(as I have said rumour has it that Alina is already learning the lead part of Manon, and I have a feeling that Marianella might be learning Myrtha, queen of the Willies, a role to which she is perfectly suited).
I for one cannot wait to see them on that stage, dancing roles which they deserve and after years of dedicated training, are more than ready for!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):