This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

A little knowledge

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Mrs. Stahlbaum

Mrs. Stahlbaum

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

Whether you make a formal study of ballet, or learn more about it simply by watching more performances, your perceptions will change. It might be interesting to keep a sort of dance diary--write down how you feel about the performances that you see now, and later when you have a more "sophisticated" appreciation of ballet, reread what you wrote about your first impressions.

As a parent of a dance student, I have sat through many Nutcracker performances. I wonder what it will be like to see a Nutcracker years from now when I am no longer caught up in the whole ballet school drama of it all. It would be nice to get the magic back again.

#17 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

As Mrs. Stahlbaum says, over time "your perceptions will change." Enjoy the process!

Do you get lost in looking at the trees so closely that you can miss the splendor of the forest?

I guess my response is that it is possible experience do both, with the eye -- and mind -- panning in and out like a movie camera. Sometimes, when things are just right, you can focus on both simultaneously. Like the dancer, the audience should never rest for too long.

The key variable for me is the time (and, alas, $$$$ :blushing: ) to see multiple performances of ballets, preferably with different casts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):