This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Change in 06-07 season

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:05 PM

Ooh, I am hoping for one of our milder February weekends, for all of your sakes.

Failing that, perhaps I should offer hot chocolate, mulled wine, and a roaring fire ....

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

extra hats and mittens, too?

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:58 PM

Well, according to weather.com, it was 50 yesterday, but I have a feeling that's a fluke.

How snowy will the sidewalks be in mid-February?

#19 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

Honestly, it's really hard to say. Some years, we get a snowfall and then it stays cold and the snow/ice hang around for weeks and weeks. Other years, we get almost no snow -- or we get a nice thaw that melts any accumulated snow. So far, it has been a pretty mild winter with one or two really nasty days (cold/windy) and one appreciable snowfall (which melted pretty quickly).

I think it is safe to say that we don't usually spend the winter blanketed in snow, and recurrent major snowfalls would be highly, highly unusual. Could we have a storm that weekend? Absolutely. But, it could also be 50 degrees. No use trying to predict now.

If you are staying downtown, the sidewalks tend to get cleaned and salted pretty quickly.

And of course, Leigh, I'll be happy to provide mittens and hats, and even scarves, for anyone who needs them.

#20 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:40 AM

Well, I guess at this point it's pretty safe to say it won't be 50 degrees. In fact, it will be pretty much the weather you were fearing/expecting. It doesn't look like we will get much more snow, but what we have won't melt either. Dress for cold weather (currently showing in the 20's F), and it's always safe to assume some wind chill. Streets and sidewalks should be thoroughly passable, but you might still want warm boots.

I always find the atmosphere of the magnificent Auditorium Theatre to be cheerfully warming. Caution: if you get coffee at intermission it will be blisteringly hot and you will only be able to sip a tiny bit before the lights flash.

#21 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

I can handle that :)

I'll be at the matinées Saturday and Sunday to see two casts.

For a little Chicago lore, I'm reading "Devil in the White City" - my hotel is a block from The Rookery!

#22 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

I expect to be at the Sunday matinee. What's the secret BT handshake, again?

Looking forward to reading everyone's reviews.

Leigh, do you have casting information?

#23 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

Well, I guess at this point it's pretty safe to say it won't be 50 degrees. In fact, it will be pretty much the weather you were fearing/expecting. It doesn't look like we will get much more snow, but what we have won't melt either. Dress for cold weather (currently showing in the 20's F), and it's always safe to assume some wind chill. Streets and sidewalks should be thoroughly passable, but you might still want warm boots.

I always find the atmosphere of the magnificent Auditorium Theatre to be cheerfully warming. Caution: if you get coffee at intermission it will be blisteringly hot and you will only be able to sip a tiny bit before the lights flash.

Thank you so much for the update -- I'm not a cold weather girl, so I've been fretting about logistics.

I'm really looking forward to this!

#24 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:24 AM

Okay, so I was wrong. More snow.

#25 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:47 AM

I'm seeing flurries out the window.

Ugh. I finally got the flight from hell. Well, the flight was fine, but the five hour delay was not. I got to my hotel 4:15 am local time.

#26 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

It's actually a very pretty snow, at least where I am slightly south of the Loop.

Leigh, that sounds awful! I do hope you can get some rest in time to enjoy tonight's performance. And that the performances overall justify the journey.

#27 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

I went to the matinée so I could catch both casts. Short version:

Completely worth the trip if only to see the Massine (the only other option I know of would be to see the Bolshoi do it in London this summer)

The rest of the program held its own. They did a very good job.

For New Yorkers - I'd catch the portions of the program they are doing on tour at either CW Post or SUNY Purchase. The tour program isn't as integrated (Apollo, Green Table, Deuce Coupe) but they happen to do all of them well. Worth catching a train or bus.

#28 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

I've just returned home from Chicago & am still breathless about the Joffrey's amazing 'Les Presages,' seen at both yesterday's matinee & evening performances. This is one of those reconstructions that ranks right up there with the Kirov's 'Sleeping Beauty-1890,' particularly because , unlike the Bolshoi, the Joffrey retains the original 1933 designs by A. Masson. Spectacular! I have died & gone to heaven!!! More later...I must gather my thoughts.

#29 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

I loved it too! But I am unlikely to write a review for several days due to pressing work.

(Leigh, I have a transportation story to add to yours: it took us nearly an HOUR to exit the underground garage :wallbash: )

#30 winnemucca

winnemucca

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:41 PM

I, too, was breathless. Les Presages was amazing! I went to Chicago just for this rep program, as it was recommended to be one of the top five shows to see this season by one of the dance magazines, either Dance or Pointe (I can't remember which magazine). I LOVED the whole show, but the Massine piece was my favorite. It literally brought chills to my body. I was amazed at the vibrancy and life that exuded from the dancers and the beautiful array of swirling colors. All of the dancers were of amazing technical proficiency. John Gluckman was brilliant in the role of fate. There was a stunning pas de deux which was passionately danced by the lovely Victoria Jaiani and her elegant partner Jonathan Dummar. They truly were a match made in heaven. The fourth movement which closed the piece was grand and exciting. The formation of a large diagonal by the ensemble, with repetitive port de bras, was particularly effective. Dummar, as the hero, was a princely figure with his commanding aesthetic. I would have to say that this is one of my favorite ballets I have ever seen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):