This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Jewels: Podcast, Casting, and Reviews

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

Jewels, which opens on Thursday, 1 June and runs through Sunday, 11 June, is the subject of PNB's first podcast. (To access the 11"38' long/11MB MP3 podcast, click here and then click podcast from the entry for Tuesday, 16 May.)

In the podcast, there are tidbits of casting news from the three dancers who spoke on it: Patricia Barker will dance in Diamonds, from which she performed the pas de deux with Stanko Milov in the 2005 gala, Louise Nadeau will dance the lead in Emeralds (Violette Verdy's role :dry: ), and Ariana Lallone will dance in Rubies. She mentioned having danced in the ballet before when she had less stage experience. (If I remember correctly, she may have danced Patricia Neary's "tall girl" role when PNB performed the ballet in 50-degree summer night weather on an outdoor stage at Chateau St. Michelle in the 90's.) She also said she was fitted for a costume in Emeralds; after her performance in Liebeslieder Walzer excerpts for the Russell/Stowell retirement celebration gala, this is great news. Boal also mentioned that because Diamonds has 16 couples, and there are 13 female members of the corps, some of the soloists will assume demi-soloist roles.

In a March post-performance Q&A, Boal mentioned that Carla Korbes would dance in Diamonds.

That's the official news so far. Casting is usually up on the website around 10 days before the run begins (but I keep checking everyday anyway.)

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the link -- I'll scamper on over and listen.

Last I heard they should be posting casting on the website around the 23rd or 24th.

But I always check too.

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:35 PM

Another casting hint, this time from the "8 Encores" program: Imler, Nakamura, and Poretta in Rubies.

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:56 PM

Stalking the PNB website has paid off: the first week of casting is up.

Emeralds
Verdy role: Nadeau (w/Maraval), Korbes (w/Herd), Vinson (w/Postlewaite)
Paul role: Pantastico (w/Stanton), Lallone (w/Cruz), Chapman (w/Milov)
Pas de Trois: Vinson/Chapman/Pankevitch, Thomas/Foster/Griffiths, Eames/Rausch/Ade

Rubies
Nakamura/Poretta/Lallone, Pantastico/Wevers/Dec, Pantastico/Wevers/Imler

Diamonds
Barker/Milov, Imler/Bold, Korbes/Stanton

#5 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:30 AM

I downloaded the podcast, and it was a lot of fun to listen to. I definitely recommend it to others and hope they do more of these in the future.

#6 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

Wonderful news in the article previewing Jewels in this afternoon's links:

Soloist Carla Korbes, on track to be named a principal dancer this summer...

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:50 PM

Wonderful, drb, if "on track" means "will", as opposed to "is likely to".

Helene, thanks for the audio link, whatever it is. Good (and relatively inexpensive) advertising. It was interesting to those of us who already know Jewels pretty well, but also comprehensible to ballet newbies.

I wonder whether PNB's website benefits from the company's location in a tech capital, even though audio links are hardly cutting-edge these days. The site (which used to have video clips, if I recall correctly), uses technologies that make such sites as [fill in your favorite] look downright primitive.

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

There used to be a "premium" part of the PNB site, where every couple of months or so subscribers could view a taped interview of a dancer, which I know included video excerpts from class. I think I remember rehearsal bits as well. I don't remember performance clips. (I'm guessing that the agreement with the unions to tape all performances is limited to archival and teaching use; Francia Russell said the video equipment was on it last legs.)

There are a number of dancers who, in my opinion, should also be on the promotion track based on a combination of the roles they've danced and the quality of their dancing, Körbes among them. I hope there's a lot of good news this summer.

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:57 AM

Second week of casting for Jewels is up

http://www.pnb.org/s...ls-casting.html

Mostly additional performances by previous casts, except for Rubies on Thursday, with Jodie Thomas and Le Yin making debuts.

#10 allegrafan

allegrafan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

Very excited...just bought tickets for the June 8th performance for hubby and I. We had such a good time in September, that we thought we would make a little trip out of this visit. Thursday is the only date that we could make it, so we won't have an opportunity to see Patricia Barker dance the lead in Diamonds. Oh well; just happy to be going :flowers: .

Looking forward to reading the reports of people who are able to attend earlier performances.

Allegrafan

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:10 PM

I'm glad you're coming down, allegrafan. On 8th June you'll see Jodie Thomas and Le Yin's debuts in Rubies, Carla Körbes in Emeralds -- she was coached in the role by Violette Verdy during the Balanchine Centennial year -- and I expect Imler to be wonderful in Diamonds.

#12 allegrafan

allegrafan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:41 PM

Thanks so much Helene. Both the hubby and I are looking forward to the casting. I didn't know that Carla Körbes was coached by Verdy for the role, so thanks for that info. Should prove to be a lovely evening. Last time we sat in the lower left gallery (which was good), but this time we upgraded to Orchestra Preferred. I'm busy now trying to pick a hotel for us to stay in.

Which evening(s) will you be attending? I am looking forward to reading your review.

Cheers,
Allegrafan

#13 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

Also - Patricia Barker and Stanko Milov were coached by Suzanne Farrell during a January rehearsal session for DIAMONDS when Farrell was in Seattle for her summer course auditions held at PNB School, and last week Stephanie Saland was in to coach Louise Nadeau, Carla Korbes and Mara Vinson in the EMERALDS lead. Elyse Borne has been the stager for JEWELS.

#14 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

doug, I'm so glad Saland was in to coach the Verdy role in Emeralds. I never saw Verdy :speechless-smiley-003:, but Saland was by far my favorite interpreter of it by the dancers I did see. I really liked Borne as a dancer, too.

allegrafan, traffic willing, I'm going to the first three performances, starting tomorrow night. (I have a family wedding next weekend.)

#15 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

........so we won't have an opportunity to see Patricia Barker dance the lead in Diamonds. Oh well; just happy to be going

True, but you will get to see Carrie Imler doing the role. As much as I love Barker, that's a trade I'd make any day.

P.S. I saw the dress rehearsal last nite (with Barker BTW -- who was superb). Very exciting. I fall down and thank my lucky stars every day that we have a company like this right here in Seattle. In my judgment, the only way I could see another company at this level would be to buy a plane ticket to New York!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):