• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:18 AM

ah yes, that 1987 tour -- Semizorova did Aurora's act 3 dances, beautifully, and then ran forward to bow, like Olive Oyl -- she was so shy. Darling child.

And Bylova! What a magnificent creature. She danced Aegina in Spartacus, tore it UP! And at the bows, the huge group bows at the end, Mukhamedov kept sending everybody else forward to bow, it was wonderful to see such self-possession and modesty in a dancer on whom so much hinged. And when they gave Bylova a bouquet the size of a bath-tub, she came forward and threw it into the pit! What did that mean?!? I've wondered about it ever since, but it was the first indication I had of what a strong personal connection their dancers are accustomed to having with their audience -- like a Gospel singer's with the congregation, or a Flamenco dancer's with the public.

It made me think of the advantages of living in a country where everybody doesn't have television and feels personally grateful to someone for entertaining them.... Where people in great cities are accustomed to having live artists impinging on their consciousness..... Our dancers don't seem to believe that people are really watching them; I guess under the Soviets, people were used to hte idea that EVERYBODY was watching them, that all of life is a stage -- scary, of course, but exciting.

#32 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:05 AM

I was up in standing room at NY State Theater in 1979.  I saw a Spartacus performance w/ Alexander Godenuv, a day or two before he defected!!!!  He was a powerhouse!!!!!! Does anyone remember????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I remember him. His career went down some odd paths. Early on he was in the Anna Karenina film with Plisetskaya.

Then from the mid 80s till his death in 1995 he made a lot of Hollywood films such as Witness, the Money Pit , Die Hard, etc.

He was only about 45 when he died.
Richard

#33 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:19 AM

I was up in standing room at NY State Theater in 1979.  I saw a Spartacus performance w/ Alexander Godenuv, a day or two before he defected!!!!  He was a powerhouse!!!!!! Does anyone remember???? Ludmilla Semeneyka also danced that run. She and Nina are 2 of my favorites :)  The Bolshoi also did the Stone Flower , I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That rings a bell. Wasn't that the season that also featured the Nadezhda Pavlova/Gordeyev duo? They, of the most perfectly in-synch grandes jetes... There's no way I'd ever forget this duo--from the time when they were still happy. I remember they also had a photo signing at a wonderful little ballet shop that used to be a block from the State Theater. Ahhh! The long-lamented final days of the "ballet boom."

#34 fandeballet

fandeballet

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:58 AM

Yes. Pavlova/Gordeyev were there. They were superb dancers and artists.

#35 Liza

Liza

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 06:45 AM

My first post! Sorry to come late to this topic.

I saw Vorobiev's first Spartacus in Moscow last June with Kaptsova as his Phrygia. I would like to know if he managed the lifts better in New York than he did then: the big one-armed lift in Act III was only achieved with a second arm joining in very early on; and even then he barely lasted the distance.

Having also seen Klevtsov and Belogolovtsev (probably the strongest physically of the three) in the same role I prefer Klevtsov - very moving and so handsome! And as for Aeginas, it is a great shame you don't seem to have been given Gracheva's: a very wicked woman, though Alexandrova's is fun too.

On a more general note, I am glad you have enjoyed Shipulina: I just loved watching her, especially in the Agon pdd, which really showed off her physique - she made it her own as far as Moscow was concerned.

#36 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:57 AM

Hi Liza, and welcome!

I saw Vorobiev in Spartacus at the Met & liked him a lot. I don't recall any partnering problems between him & Kaptsova. I've seen a few other things since then but I think I would still remember any problems with Spartacus since I still recall so many partnering problems in the other Bolshoi productions!

I agree with you, it is a pity that Gracheva wasn't on this tour. I saw her in Boston last year, and thought she was wonderful. It's funny, but in some ways Shipulina's Aegina reminded me of Gracheva. It seemed to me that Shipulina had the same 180 degree developee a la second as Zakharova but, of course, they didn't look like Zakharova's because Shiplulina is built very differently! They also looked very different because Zacharova's just seemed to rise up to her ear quickly & with no effort. Shipulina's unfolded beautifully, with a great deal of deliberate tension and then snapped up at the end. There was a creamy, lush quality to her dancing that reminded me of what I loved about Gracheva. Anyway, her Don Q at the Met was good but it was marred somewhat by problems in the lifts & perhaps some nervousness (after dropping her fan at the beginning of the ballet, and then having problems with the lifts) but her Aegina was awesome!

#37 WindFlyer

WindFlyer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:56 PM

...thatís what I thought right up until the very instant on Saturday afternoon when Shipulina took the stage in the same role. Wow. It may have been the most complete performance Iíve seen from a Bolshoi dancer yet. Allash was very, very good - evil & scheming. But Shipulina just oozed sex. She was imperious and scheming - in some ways she really overpowered her Crassus - she seemed to be the protagonist, always pushing him and spurring him on. Despite some of the extremely inventive lifts for Spartacus & Phrygia, Aegina really has the best dancing, or at least the most bravura dancing. Shipulia managed to invest those 180 degree splits and jetes, and those ear scraping devlopees with a creaminess and lasciviousness that was just amazing. Nina Kaptsova danced Phrygia at the matinee. She was lovely, but she is a small woman, and her Phrygia was danced on a much smaller scale than Antonichevaís.

Your observations correspond precisely with what I saw in Orange County a couple of weeks later during the same tour.

I was hoping to see Shipulina while in Moscow in May, but alas, she was not in any of the casts while I was there (though I still hoped for a last-minute Mirtha substitution).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):