PNB New Dancers: Korbes to be Soloist +Now a Principal Dancer, with Casey Herd

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Joshua

Joshua

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:03 PM

I missed this on my first reading, but the postcard I received advertising the Season Opening Gala said that dancer promotions would be announced during the performance that evening. Full text:

Pacific Northwest Ballet is "rolling out the red carpet" on the
2006-2007 Season!

Kick off the Season with a preview performance featuring a world
premiere by PNB's own Paul Gibson, three PNB premieres, a performance
by soprano Jane Eaglen and the return of Swan Lake. Come celebrate with
PNB as we "paint the town red" and Peter Boal announces the promotions
of new Principal dancers!

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

I missed this on my first reading, but the postcard I received advertising the Season Opening Gala said that dancer promotions would be announced during the performance that evening. Full text:

Pacific Northwest Ballet is "rolling out the red carpet" on the
2006-2007 Season!

Kick off the Season with a preview performance featuring a world
premiere by PNB's own Paul Gibson, three PNB premieres, a performance
by soprano Jane Eaglen and the return of Swan Lake. Come celebrate with

"Dancers" plural? Very interesting.

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,001 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

Come celebrate with

"Dancers" plural? Very interesting.

He did say at one of the earlier Jewels Q&A's that there would be a few promotions, but then at a later one, he said "a couple" and mentioned that there wasn't a lot of turnover among Principal Dancers to leave space for promotions to that level.

There are so many deserving dancers, and the soloist ranks in particular are very thin at five.

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

He did say at one of the earlier Jewels Q&A's that there would be a few promotions, but then at a later one, he said "a couple" and mentioned that there wasn't a lot of turnover among Principal Dancers to leave space for promotions to that level.

There are so many deserving dancers, and the soloist ranks in particular are very thin at five.

I keep thinking that they will increase the number of soloists, but it's held steady for the last couple of years. I know that, pragmatically, there are several corps members who are soloists in all but name, but I would imagine that they might like the name as well as the roles!

#20 Joshua

Joshua

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

At Friday's $5 Friday Rehearsal Peter said there will be 2 principal dancer promotions made at the Gala Perfromance.

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

At Friday's $5 Friday Rehearsal Peter said there will be 2 principal dancer promotions made at the Gala Perfromance.

That's what I've been told -- so who wants to speculate on the promotions?

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,001 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

Körbes and...

There are two other soloists who I think have earned it, and it's going to be disappointing to learn that at least one of them will not be. Unless, of course, there are two promotions to Principal and one to Goddess, in which case everyone is covered.

But what about promotions to Soloist?

#23 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:44 AM

Körbes and...

There are two other soloists who I think have earned it, and it's going to be disappointing to learn that at least one of them will not be. Unless, of course, there are two promotions to Principal and one to Goddess, in which case everyone is covered.

But what about promotions to Soloist?

My understanding is that there will be two promotions to principal, and that is all. And if they both come from the soloist rank, that will leave the category pretty attenuated.

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,001 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:15 PM

My understanding is that there will be two promotions to principal, and that is all. And if they both come from the soloist rank, that will leave the category pretty attenuated.

Bummer.

The latest is that on the Classical KING-FM commercials for the gala opening this Saturday, PNB is advertising that Boal will announce two new Principals at it.

The "announce the winners" aspect of the International Wagner Competition a few weeks ago was a bit hit with the audience, but that also included an Audience Award, and I don't think Peter Boal is letting us make personnel decisions :clapping:

#25 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

The latest is that on the Classical KING-FM commercials for the gala opening this Saturday, PNB is advertising that Boal will announce two new Principals at it.

They certainly seem to be making a great deal out of these announcements -- it's been in a lot of their press.

The "announce the winners" aspect of the International Wagner Competition a few weeks ago was a bit hit with the audience, but that also included an Audience Award, and I don't think Peter Boal is letting us make personnel decisions :clapping:

No, I imagine not, though I'm sure we all have opinions!

#26 Joshua

Joshua

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:02 AM

The "announce the winners" aspect of the International Wagner Competition a few weeks ago was a bit hit with the audience, but that also included an Audience Award, and I don't think Peter Boal is letting us make personnel decisions

Judging from conversations I've had this summer, if this was the case, PNB would have no Corps.

Peter also spoke at the Conversation last Sunday to the effect that often members of the company have reached a point where they deserve a promotion, but there is no room in the budget. This, unfortunately, is the reality of ballet in American companies. He did, however, leave open the possibility that there would be more promotions later in the season.

On another note, I forgot to mention something about the last $5 Friday. Rasta Thomas is back and rehearsing for Fancy Free.

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,001 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:32 AM

The "announce the winners" aspect of the International Wagner Competition a few weeks ago was a bit hit with the audience, but that also included an Audience Award, and I don't think Peter Boal is letting us make personnel decisions

Judging from conversations I've had this summer, if this was the case, PNB would have no Corps.

No kidding.

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,001 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:30 PM

I guess I'm the first one home from PNB's Opening Gala, so I'll spread the news:

Just before the third selection, excerpts from Swan Lake, Peter Boal made the announcement that was hinted by the casting: Casey Herd and Carla Körbes were named Principal Dancers!!!!!

:clapping: :flowers: :toot: :tiphat: to both dancers for well-deserved promotions. Boal's speech was short and sweet, and he lauded each individually. Apart from his fantastic skills as a solo dancer, Herd has been making ballerinas look terrific for years, and tonight was no exception: he partnered Körbes in a sublime White Swan pas de deux.

If their names appear on the cast list for Swan Lake this February, usually about 10 days before opening night for week one, it is time to book a last-minute flight to Seattle.

#29 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:44 PM

I am so gratified to know that if I can't see her regularly (which I regret), Carla is getting her due. Congratulations to her and to Mr. Herd. :clapping:

Thanks for the good news, Helene!

#30 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:50 PM

I guess I'm the first one home from PNB's Opening Gala, so I'll spread the news:

Just before the third selection, excerpts from Swan Lake, Peter Boal made the announcement that was hinted by the casting: Casey Herd and Carla Körbes were named Principal Dancers!!!!!

:clapping: :flowers: :toot: :tiphat: to both dancers for well-deserved promotions. Boal's speech was short and sweet, and he lauded each individually. Apart from his fantastic skills as a solo dancer, Herd has been making ballerinas look terrific for years, and tonight was no exception: he partnered Körbes in a sublime White Swan pas de deux.

If their names appear on the cast list for Swan Lake this February, usually about 10 days before opening night for week one, it is time to book a last-minute flight to Seattle.

I thought it was a bit odd that Boal actually never said their names -- he said they were being promoted, and that they were the next performers, but he never said their names. I doubt it was intentional, but it made the whole thing seem very hush-hush!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):