This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Best Jumpers

fandeballet

Erika Lambe from Boston Ballet had an Amazing jump. She could easily out jump most of the men in the company...

Come to think of it, Sarah Lamb also has a nice jump....Maybe it was something in the former training...

Currently, Kathleen Breen Combes comes to mind in terms of jumpers for the company.

Coordination and timing are the key. People who jump well, or appear to do so, time the take off preciisely and they hover....

Take notice the next tiem you see something that involves good jumping....

Erika Lambe from Boston Ballet  had  an  Amazing jump. She  could  easily out  jump most  of  the  men  in the  company...

Come to  think of  it, Sarah Lamb  also  has a  nice jump....Maybe  it  was  something  in the  former  training...

Currently, Kathleen Breen Combes  comes  to  mind  in terms  of  jumpers  for  the  company.

Coordination and  timing are  the  key. People  who  jump well, or  appear to  do  so,  time  the  take  off  preciisely and  they  hover....

Take  notice the next  tiem  you  see  something  that involves  good  jumping....

while this is true , facility to be able to achive this is purely genetic , for example - you will never see a dancer with a short achilles achive elevation...

Sorry to disagree, but I couldn't let this one pass: the length of one's Achilles tendon is only one factor in determining elevation and there are some very powerful jumpers with short tendons. This often gets misunderstood by students because teachers are always urging their students to 'get their heels down' and the ones with shorter tendons struggle with this, but that doesn't transfer over to smaller or weaker jumps :yahoo:

There was an ABT dancer - Gail Israel who had a great jump.

In the 1970 ABT picture program she can be seen hanging in the air in a gorgeous split - pictured in Le Combat.

:tiphat:

I have that program from a trip to ABT (I think on tour to the west coast) I use to look at the picture and, in my then adolescent and adoring way, want to "be" her.

Oh, yes. I had forgotten Israel until just recently when I was rereading a coffee table book on ABT history.

I saw some photos on Israel and thought, wow, yes she was a very powerful dancer.

Richard

Sorry to disagree, but I couldn't let this one pass:  the length of one's Achilles tendon is only one factor in determining elevation and there are some very powerful jumpers with short tendons.  This often gets misunderstood by students because teachers are always urging their students to 'get their heels down' and the ones with shorter tendons struggle with this, but that doesn't transfer over to smaller or weaker jumps :D

what are the other factors...out of curiocity... i have crossed a few amazing jumpers with short achilles during my career - so my comment probably wasn't too acurate, however they have all without exception , had complaints regarding their shins and knees , and have not achived quite the same elevation as the dancers i have seen with longer achilles.