This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Audience as judge at Olympics

Talking about audiences influencing the judges at the mens' gymnastics, what about the Greek gymnast who won the rings? The crowd set up a deafening chant of "Hellas! Hellas!" and in the end, I had the impression that he received a ridiculously high score. He shook all the way through his routine! Did anyone else notice this?

Tim Daggett on the NBC broadcast disagreed with Tampakos' score immediately. It looked to me that his holds were short, but they may have just made the full two seconds. I agreed with Daggett that Jovtchev of Bulgaria should have won the gold on the event; he really held his positions. I also thought his floor ex was as good as Dragulescu's, but there may have been a difference in start values that explained the scores, because I thought Dragulescu had several form breaks. In my opinion, Kyle Shewfelt of Canada is the only man who exhibited ballet-like grace in his floor ex, and I was happy to see him get the gold medal.

But while the Bulgarian federation launched a protest over his scores, Jovtchev responded, "I did my job, at least I think both of us could have been first. It's over who cares?"

Bottom of the following article: http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/...Sto630083.shtml

In the same article, Dragulescu's concession that Shewfelt was a little bit better than he was is also a dig at Hamm and the US team, as he had previously said that the US team was being overmarked.

After doing so I can confirm that Podkopayeva did indeed have a couple fouettes in her floor ex routine, although they weren’t something a dancer would be proud of (her upper-body position was especially terrible). The other balletic elements in her routine were much better; I was quite impressed by her sautees.

Those floors are bouncy and carpeted, so turns are tough but jumps are much easier.

BTW some gymnasts (including Courtney Kupets) wear a rhythmic gymnastics shoe on their turning foot.

Guest ABTwannabe

i feel that a problem like this should not have occured at such an important time. from watching paul hamm's performance, i feel as though that much of a comeback from a huge disaster seemed to be impossible. as i watched in amazement i felt as though somethinfg was not right. i feel that the atheletes do not mind giving the medals to who they belong and the traines are the real problem

Edited by ABTwannabe