This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Plisetskaya Dances

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:03 AM

Has anyone seen the PLISETSKAYA DANCES dvd? What are the highlights? Thanks.

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:05 AM

Yes!!! The highlight, for me, is the section with all of her solos from act I of Don Q. They don't make 'em like this any more.

It's very much of its time, with an announcer intoning platitudes at every opportunity. There are bits of Plisetskaya in class, and in interviews. I haven't watched it in years, so I don't remember all the dancing -- I think there are bits of her Juliet as well.

#3 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:30 PM

Is this the film with the excerpt from "Fountains of Bachshikserai" (which I am sure I misspelled) with MP playing against Ulanova? That was huge fun -- in the way that only the Bolshoi can do true justice to.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:57 PM

I think "Fountains" is on a different tape -- Stars of the Russian Ballet (???). It has Ulanova (act 2) and Dudinskaya (act 3) in "Swan Lake" and also "The Flames of Paris."

#5 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:06 PM

I think "Fountains" is on a different tape -- Stars of the Russian Ballet (???).

The "Fountains" excerpts are also on "Glory of the Bolshoi."

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:32 PM

I checked "Ballet 101"'s videography: The one I'm thinking of is on a tape called "Stars of the Russian Ballet" It was filmed in 1953. There may well be excerpts on other tapes, but this one is a condensed version of the ballet that runs about a half-hour. Ulanova, Plisetskaya, and Gusev.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):