#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 02:23 AM

Oh heavens, not you, him!

"Here, copy off what you need and get these back to me." :unsure: :)

#17 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 04:22 AM

ah well - i guess they'll be put to more actual practical use, where they are...
how kind of you.
i saw a set of these, years ago, in dancebooks in london. they weren't expensive, but i couldn't afford them at the time ... :)

#18 crockerg727

crockerg727

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

I've seen copies of Kirsten Ralov's book (The Bournonville School/ The Daily Classes)on eBay (there's one there to date) and Amazon. I found a good bargain on one that was "marked" with margin notes and notations (which I find an extra value, not a deterent). The enchainements are notated in easy-to-follow bars and beats. Friday's class includes several variations from Konservatoriet. It still feels like Twister to me sometimes. An honored volume on my dance shelf.

#19 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the tip, crockerg727, and welcome to BalletTalk! As veteran readers of this board know, purchasing from Amazon through the link on this site adds a few pennies to our coffers, so we encourage it whenever possible.

The margin notes would send me off wondering all sorts of things about the notator. Yes, I can see how they would add something to the book. Like the very enchainements, they a sharing (however inadvertent) of knowledge from one person to one other.

#20 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

I'd like to add my welcome, crockerg727. And thanks for reviving this 2003 thread, which I've never seen before.

The material sounds fascinating. Now that over 5 years have passsed since it the thread was opened, has anyone else seen this material or have any thoughts about it. I'm still trying to visualize just what it might be like. How, for example, does one USE it in class?

#21 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:52 AM

as someone who reads neither kind of notation used in these volumes (nor for that matter music notation), i find them intriguing but not exactly practical.

in any case here's how the NYPL lists them, as you can see, the title is THE BOURNONVILLE SCHOOL (not ETUDES, in this case.)

The Bournonville school. Kirsten Ralov, editor.
New York, Audience Arts, c1979.
Description: 4 v. chiefly illus. 28 cm.
Series: The Dance program ; v. 12
CONTENTS. - pt. 1. Ralov, K. The daily classes. - pt. 2. Agersnap, H. and Gnatt, P. Music. - pt. 3. Caverly, S. Benesh notation. - pt. 4. Guest, A. H. Labanotation.

the scan below is the start of the text 'proper' it shows p. 18 - the intro. pp. include such topics as:
Ballet Terminology
Fixed Points of the Classroom and Stage
Arm Positions [in somewhat basic line drawings]
Enchainements Recommended as Preparatory Exercise
Classification of the Enchainements and Variations
Nicknames for the Enchainements

Attached Files

#22 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

That is very interesting, but I find it difficult to understand without knowing what system of 'fixed points of the classroom' is being used. It seems as if it might be similar to the Vaganova system...?

#23 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

the introductory sections of the volume scanned above include things like diagrams to show what 'fixed points' are meant by this system, etc.
as noted, the scanned page is no. 18 - the previous 17 pp. are taken up by introductory text and diagrams to set the stage for the exercises as spelled out in the running text of vol. 1 (and then in the notation texts of vols. 3 and 4).
furthermore, i don't know how much these explications differ from the more recently produced vols. - with accompanying DVD - released in 2005 in 2 hardcover volumes [the '79 publications are soft cover] - the title page for "Ballet Terminology" is credited as "By Kirstein Ralov, revised by Anne Marie Vessel Schluter."
this latest publication is given in two volumes and two DVDs, one book is called "The Music" and the other "The Dance Programme" ( the first page of explication in the latter, p. 36 compares word for word w/ that of p. 18 in the '79 publication).
the illustrations of the '05 publication are photos, likely 'grabbed' from the companion vidoes, of the demonstration dancers: Caroline Cavallo, Gudrun Bojesen, Thomas Lund and Mads Blangstrup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):