This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

BOURNONVILLE ETUDES

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 05:56 PM

From a 1979 picture program - "Soloists of the Royal Danish Ballet, The Bournonville Centenary", I'm reading about a ballet called: BOURNONVILLE ETUDES.

"Bournonville Etudes is a composite of excercises from the famous Monday-Saturday classes of the Bournonville school. The classes were arranged and codified by Hans Beck using choreography and steps which occur in Bournonville ballets. Each day's class concentrates on specific steps and technique problems, and the classes ascend in difficutly from Monday's to Saturday's into which the famouse Pas de La Vestale is incorporated. Bournonville choreographed these steps for the debut of his favorite pupil Lucile Grahn, and performed on the stage with her. He performed each series of steps, followed by her performing the series exactly duplicating the steps of her ballet teacher."

Has anyone every seen this ballet performed? Is it filmed?
I need it! :sweating:

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:02 PM

Glebb, there's a Danish TV show from the late 1960s -- Peter Martins is in it as a very young dancer. I've seen it, but don't have it. (You're going to have to make Danish friends :thumbsup: Preferably older ones, who started taping stuff as soon as VCRs were out!)

I don't know how much is on there. It's certainly not all six classes.

There are still teachers who could set the classes (I have some recommendations :wink: ) I'm also sure they are written down. Anne Marie Vessel Schluter, who's the head of the school, might be the one to contact.

#3 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Alexandra! It's cool to know that something of the ballet exists on film or video.

I saw Anne Marie Vessel (before Schluter was added) in "The Lesson" at the MET. "The Four Seasons" choreographed by Frank Anderson (?) was also on the program.

It would be fun to see the classes on video. I think a portion of a class is shown on an episode of Makarova's "Assoluta".

My picture program has wonderful pictures of all the young soloists, Peter Martins, Frank Anderson, Ib Anderson, Peter Shaufuss, Dinna Bjorn, Annemarie Dybdal-(real nice photo in "Napoli"), Bjarne Hecht, Linda Hindberg, Niels Kehlet, Eva Kloborg, Adam Luders, Lise Stripp, Anne Marie Vessel, and Arne Villumsen. Nice to see what Jens-Jacob Worsaae looks like after hearing so much about him over the years.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 06:39 PM

"The Four Seasons" is by Flemming Flindt. (Frank Andersen has never choreographed.)

I saw Vessel in that, too, with Nureyev, at the Uris, on one of his Nureyev and Friends program. The night I went (his birthday) he slammed her into the barre so hard it broke. Ah, those were the days.

Sadly, Jens-Jacob Worsaae died quite awhile ago, August of 1994, I believe.

Edited by Alexandra, 09 August 2003 - 07:12 PM.

#5 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:21 PM

stanley williams staged a 'vestale' for school of american ballet. patrick bissell danced it the year the left the school.
the following is the film in the linc.cent.library/dance coll.
alas it's permission required:
School of American Ballet workshop performance 1977.
Videotaped during the 12th annual workshop performance, May 23, 1977 (7 p.m.), at Juilliard Theater, New York. Performed by students of the School of American Ballet, with the Juilliard Conductors Orchestra, conducted by Victoria Bond.
CONTENTS. - Cassette 1 (46 min.): La vestale, pas de deux. Choreography: Auguste Bournonville, restaged by Stanley Williams. Music: Gasparo Spontini. Danced by Vicky Hall and Patrick Bissell. Pianist: Lynn Stanford
another cast was also filmed - Lindy (Melinda) Roy & Douglas Hay, but same 'permission required' restriction.
here's the library's 'authority term' for the williams' staging:
Vestale pas de deux (Choreographic work : Bournonville)
Authority Note : Chor: August Bournonville; mus: Gasparo Spontini. First perf: Copenhagen, 1834; Lucile Grahn & August Bournonville.//Revival: New York, Juilliard Theater, May 23, 1977; School of American Ballet annual workshop performance; staged by Stanley Williams.

#6 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:25 PM

Thanks rg.

I'm going to look for lithograph/pics of Grahn in this pas.

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:32 PM

There are a lot of bits of ballets in those classes -- that's how "Flower Festival" got saved, a few others -- Konservatoriet, I think. Stanley Williams staged a lot of Bournonville for the school --others as well. Adam Luders staged a pas de sept (cinq?) from "Erik Menved," a long, long lost ballet, but one that was noted.

There's a missing, and now probably lost forever, "Sunday Class" set by one of Beck's pupils, Karl Merrild, who taught all the great dancers who went through the school in the '30s and '40s. He put in variations from ballets he'd loved that hadn't gotten into the original six, and taught it to the children. This was written down too, but Merrild left the Theatre in 1949, and no one knows what happened to his notes. When I found out about this, I asked dancers who were interested in Bournonville, and some of the Danish critics, who all shrugged. Or said, "Oh, yes. Merrild had a lot of notebooks."

:thumbsup:

#8 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 02:29 PM

a composite of excercises from the famous Monday-Saturday classes of the Bournonville school

glebb - you probably also know that the classes have been written down and published, in english/french, in labanotation and in benesh notation, together with the music scores to go with the exercises, in a set of 4 soft-cover books. out-of-print, of course, but a remarkable little collection -which you might want to know about - all the same. :)

#9 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 05:02 PM

Thanks Grace!

In a future life I would love to be able to know Laban, Benesh (and how to play the piano.) :yes:

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 05:18 PM

I forgot about them -- thanks, Grace. (I had them, and gave mine away. :) ) They were put together by the late Kirsten Ralov who certainly was an expert in that field.

#11 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:11 AM

I think if you try the Alibris books web site(Alibris.com), they may be able to find some of those soft cover classes with notation and piano accompaniment. I bought a partial set for my daughter's piano teacher (who also plays for ballet classes!) less than a year ago.

#12 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 04:47 PM

:)

alexandra - you - of ALL people! - GAVE them away?!? :unsure:

WOW! :speechless:

must have been a GOOD friend!

:wub:

#13 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:18 PM

Several years ago to a young Danish dancer and potential stager -- it was a good cause. He'd looked all over for them, and they were already out of print. But I still miss 'em. :)

#14 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:21 PM

That's why God created photocopiers! :)

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:30 PM

Not only would that be a copyright violation :) but I wouldn't stand at a photocopy machine for 400 pages worth of material for anybody, thank you. (And no copy shop would do it.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):