This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I think there's a double gag going on there. The first is on Hogan, who once portrayed a babysitter(!) in a movie and ended up in one of his charge's pre-ballet class (in a tutu, no less), and the second is on Terry Bradshaw (his "pupil"), whose advertising persona is that he doesn't do anything terribly well. It's pretty goofy, but no worse than Bradshaw's ad where asks for sushi to be cooked.

Now, I think this is one of the better ones. I love the "I don't think I'm Swan material!" line. And compared to all those commercials where the guy gets a headache to avoid going to the ballet, they seem to treat ballet -- and the two women at the barre -- with respect. "It's good to try something new," one says. Any commercial that uses "new" and "classical ballet" in the same thought pattern can't be all bad!

I think you're right. Hogan has some dance training, besides, as nobody who hasn't studied can look as klutzy as actual dancers trying to look klutzy. Just think of Lucille Ball, who used to be a Zeigfeld dancer, and more recently, Jane Kaczmarek, in "Malcolm in the Middle" who showed that she really could dance in a sort of dream sequence, then when she sees a video of herself....:rolleyes:

A. Why on earth would a man ever portray a swan? Oh...wait. Never mind ;).

B. He goes en pointe (supposedly) in technique shoes, thus furthering the myth that all dancers, regardless of gender, dance en pointe as a matter of course in nothing but soft shoes. (I once took one of my leather ballet shoes to a shoe repair store to have a hole repaired. The lady at the desk asked me if I danced on my toes in them...:rolleyes: .) I could add that his feet are nowhere near arched enough to actually stand en pointe, but I think that's asking a bit too much of a telephone commercial!

C. The "dancers" in the background are not really very good, and they don't at all represent a typical ballet class, as each of them just seems to be doing her own thing.

However, it does have good points, as others have mentioned above--not to mention that it doesn't feature Carrot Top or Alf:D !