This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

About Style and Aesthetics - Baryshnikov and Godunov

On 7/27/2024 at 3:30 AM, On Pointe said:

At one point she and her partner misjudged a one arm overhead lift and he almost dropped her. Instead of trying to play it off,  Plisetskaya rolled her eyes and let out a hearty whoop, turning a near disaster into a thrilling moment,  and the audience went crazy. 

So, did this happen in the 60s? As for that hearty whoop- was it a joyful shout?

14 hours ago, Meliss said:

All right, let's discard the charisma of Anna Pavlova. What's left?

Anna Pavlova was in a unique position,  due to her brilliance as a self-promoter as much as her dancing.  Yes,  even in the few films that exist of her,  you can see that she had extraordinary charisma.  But she made her reputation as the star of her own company,  touring the world,  introducing ballet to audiences that had never seen ballet before.  Turned in legs and sickled feet meant nothing to them.  Pavlova's stage magic transcended technique.  It's hard to describe it,  but unmistakable when you see it.  Why would anyone want to "discard" that?  It's the essence of performance.

14 hours ago, Meliss said:

So, did this happen in the 60s? As for that hearty whoop- was it a joyful shout?

Yes,  it was in the 60s.  The "whoop" was Plisetskaya acknowledging their vulnerability,  their humanity,  and the fact that she didn't get dropped.  And it was joyous.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, On Pointe said:

Pavlova's stage magic transcended technique.  It's hard to describe it,  but unmistakable when you see it.  Why would anyone want to "discard" that?  It's the essence of performance.

But I completely agree with Helenе's opinion:

"Whether individuals see charisma is personal". 

Edited by Meliss
12 hours ago, On Pointe said:

The "whoop" was Plisetskaya acknowledging their vulnerability,  their humanity,  and the fact that she didn't get dropped.

I wonder who was her partner in that performance.

On 7/28/2024 at 12:13 AM, Helene said:

The headline of his obituary in the New York Times reads, "Maris Liepa, 52, Dies in Moscow; Bolshoi Star Was Popular in West"  I'm from the West, so that might explains why his aesthetic appeals to me far more than Godunov's.

It seems to me that Godunov was much more popular than Liepa in the West. Unlike Liepa, he lived and performed there for several years.In the West, in the Russian press, it means in all countries west of Russia, including the United States.

As far as I'm concerned Maris Liepa was one of the greatest dancers that ever lived.  Apart from his magnificent Bolshoi appearances in London he danced at a gala here with RB ballerina Doreen Wells in a pas de deux from Sylvia which he chose because of his admiration of Ashton (he had unique access to the west).  During that visit he gave a talk to his British fans accompanied by Anton Dolin with whom he shared a birthday.  He came across as a fascinating personality of great charm and warmth.  His early death was a great shock.  A giant of the ballet world and an unforgettable character.