This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sunday, April 28

dirac

A profile of David Keary, the artistic director of the Mississippi Ballet.

David wanted to take dancing lessons but did not want his side hobby to become public knowledge among his friends. It was the 1960’s. Male dancers were unheard of in the Deep South. His musical father, who had been quite a virtuoso clarinetist and tenor saxophonist in the years after WWII, was wise enough to let David give dance a try. Father even covered for son when one of his neighborhood buddies came to the door on a dance afternoon to ask if David could join a game of baseball, football, or something else the neighborhood gang had instigated. David might hide behind the door in his dance clothes, but his dad would tell the friend, “David has to go downtown with me on an errand right now. Maybe next time!”

A backstage photo gallery of Pensacola Ballet rehearsing "The Sleeping Beauty."

Pensacola Ballet's new Artistic Director, Stéphano Candreva, takes notes during rehearsals for the upcoming production of The Sleeping Beauty on Thursday, March 14, 2024. The show is set for May 3, 4, and 5 at the Saenger Theatre.

Q&A with Benedicte Bemet about clothes and style.

What’s your favourite fashion era? The 1990s and early 2000s. I love all the singlets, cargo pants and glittery things. It was fun but casual. The eras in which women wore tight skirts and formal wear are my worst nightmare because I have to wear tight clothes for work.

A preview of San Diego Ballet's "Giselle."

Led by their queen and costumed in white Romantic-length tutus, the 20-plus dancers perform synchronized, intentional steps and force any man in their presence to dance to his death.

In the San Diego Ballet production, Velasco renamed the Wilis “Lloronas,” inspired by a female ghost in Mexican folklore.

Q&A with James Whiteside.

So much of it is the exact same; so much of it you couldn’t say today, and it was just fascinating to see this little portal in time to the 1990s. It feels like things are kind of the same, but also have improved in a lot of ways. So I used clips from that documentary interwoven with the music, and it made it tie together in a cohesive story of these young people who have their whole careers ahead of them. And, it also tells the story of what I’m doing as an older dancer. I have done a lot in my career, and I’ve been so lucky...I’m not saying I’m retiring anytime soon, but of course I’m thinking about what I want to do after I stop performing…But that will be a while, so don’t get crazy [laughs].