This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, April 25

dirac

A review of New York City Ballet by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

Created for the company’s 1975 Ravel Festival, it was the first ballet George Balanchine choreographed for Farrell upon her return to City Ballet after a rift with Balanchine and time spent in Europe. In Farrell’s restoration, “Errante” is a passionate musical adventure — rich with play, mystery and seduction — that opens with a five-minute solo for its female lead.

An arrest is made in the case of a homeless trans woman who was found beaten to death in front of Miami City Ballet's building.

CBS News Miami's Peter D'Oench spoke exclusively with the Dos Passos's stepfather Victor Van Gilst.

"She had no chance to defend herself whatsoever. I don't know if this was a hate crime since she was transgender or if she had some sort of interaction with this person because he might have been homeless as well. The detective could not say if she was attacked because she was transgender," said Van Gilst. "She has been struggling with mental health issues for a long time, going back to when she was in her early 20s. We did everything we could to help her. My wife is devasted. For her, this is like a nightmare that turned into reality. Andrea moved around a lot and even lived in California for a while. She was sadly homeless. I feel the system let her down. She was a good person." 

The ballerinas who are the subject of Karen Valby's "The Swans of Harlem" will appear together to speak at an event in Chicago.

Together they made history under the direction of Arthur Mitchell, co-founder of the Dance Theatre of Harlem, and the first Black principal ballet dancer with the New York City Ballet. 

As the adoptive mother of two Black girls with a passion for performance, Karen Valby, the book’s author, found herself connecting with the Swans of Harlem. 

A review of New York City Ballet by Mary Cargill for danceviewtimes.com.

“The Steadfast Tin Soldier” was a quiet contrast, a rather bittersweet Hans Christian Andersen story of two toys under a Christmas tree who dance together until the wind blows the poor doll into the fireplace.  The veterans Daniel Ulbricht and Megan Fairchild were the couple; they gave the simple dance, so full of stiff legged jumps and sweet little nods, an open-hearted sweetness that was neither coy nor cute, as if they could remember a child’s half-belief that toys do come to life.  “Oh, no” I heard someone behind me gasp in shock as Fairchild disappeared; it was a vivid piece of theater.

Ballet Arizona appoints a new artistic director.

[Daniela] Cardim, who takes over the job on July 1, is the first woman to hold the position with Ballet Arizona and the fourth artistic director for the organization, succeeding Ib Andersen who was in the role for 24 years. The ballet's board had announced last year that Andersen intended to step down from the role on June 30 of this year. On July 1, he will assume the title of artistic director emeritus.

Charlotte Ballet prepares its first "Swan Lake."

Ib Andersen, who danced with New York City Ballet under George Balanchine in the 1980s, choreographed this version for a company closer in size to Charlotte’s, which has just under 30 professional dancers. In all, the ballet comprises 93 roles and 52 total dancers, 25 of them swans.