This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, April 17

dirac

The Aspen Santa Fe Ballet announces its summer season.

The series opens with a curated “Gala Performance” featuring dancers from Joffrey Ballet, Royal Ballet, Houston Ballet, Boston Ballet, and Ballet West and will run for two evenings. Time-honored classical works interlace with neo-classical works by Christopher Wheeldon, Ulysses Dove, Yuri Possokhov, Gerald Arpino, and William Forsythe. The Joffrey’s celestial “Round of Angels” danced to Mahler’s “Adagietto” crowns this truly exquisite evening of dance.

Clare Kretzschmar is the new artistic director of Ballet Hartford.

Ballet Hartford co-founder Leyna Doran is stepping down from the artistic director position but is not leaving the company. She will take on a new role as executive director.

Kretzschmar and Doran are among the choreographers contributing to “Planets,” a series of dances set to the famous score “The Planets” by Gustav Holst. Kretzschmar is choreographing the “Venus” section while Doran is doing “Saturn.”

Cleveland Ballet's interim president and CEO gets the job permanently.

[Larry] Goodman, a former board member, became Interim CEO in December following the resignation of founding CEO Michael Krasnyansky and the termination of his wife and founding artistic director Gladisa Guadupe. During his short tenure, Goodman came to better appreciate the dance company and wanted to continue his work.

Related.

The interim leader of Cleveland Ballet, installed in December 2023 to stabilize the organization in a time of turmoil, now has the job on a permanent basis.

Q&A with Julianna Rubio Slager of Ballet 5:8.

There’s a power dynamic in traditional pas de deux, especially when women are in pointe shoes. Is there anything that emerged for you choreographing this that surprised you or felt like a departure from what you expected?

Yeah, I think what’s cool about it is that even when lifts are involved I focused on sharing weight and a dynamic of coordination where the female is just as involved as the male. In classical ballet there’s a lot of “Now I pose and you lift me” kind of thing. Here they’re kind of tangled up together and a lift emerges out of it. It was really fun to create. It really empowered me as a female choreographer to get involved and not just copy what’s been taught to me, but find my own way of moving.

A review of Pacific Northwest Ballet by Rich Smith in The Stranger.

Last time, PNB Artistic Director Peter Boal & Co. paired choreographer Crystal Pite's masterful, hyperkinetic meditation on nature with some very good but more or less disconnected ballets. This time, the program felt so cohesive it amounted to a religious experience—one that, incidentally, might best be experienced from the cheap seats.