This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, March 26

dirac

Annabelle Lopez Ochoa returns to the Bay Area to work with San Francisco Ballet and Smuin Ballet.

Lopez Ochoa is now beginning that creative process again as she develops her vision of Elvis Presley for Smuin. “When I reset Requiem for a Rose seven years ago, it was the first time I saw Smuin. My piece was in a program with a work by [the company’s founder, Michael] Smuin, to [popular] songs. I thought, ‘Oh, that’s what Smuin does.’ I was thinking out loud, while I was on the staircase going down, that I would use Elvis, and Celia [Fushille, the company’s artistic director,] remembered that.

A review of New York City Ballet by Leigh Witchel for dancelog.nyc.

Gordon was all about swagger, but in Solitude that was transformed into a demonstration of grief. Danchig-Waring was working hard, and all the steps were happening, but with little projection. It took him falling to the ground and thrashing to see some anguish. There was more as he went on and was carried along by ballet’s build, but he got to where he should have started by the end. Solitude needed Gordon, Danchig-Waring needs Solitude.