This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, February 19

dirac

A review of the Washington Ballet by  Roger Catlin for Broadway World.

That changes in the current Washington Ballet showcase at the Kennedy Center, “Jazz Icons: A Fine Romance.” In it, two young choreographers, Jessica Lang and Dwight Rhoden, unveil world premiere works that are accompanied by a concert's worth of jazz songs, performed live by three different ensembles, under the musical direction of Marty Ashby of Pittsburgh’s venerable MCG Jazz.

A review of New York City Ballet by Leigh Witchel for dancelog.nyc.

The corps strutted in, a march that recalled Mercurial. Peck gave Von Enck a speed demon solo-ette that morphed into a duet with Bradley. The music paused and the atmosphere darkened (shades of DSCH’s slow section) and the women drifted behind Mejia (shades of Opus 19/The Dreamer).

It’s not a knock on Peck to note where she seemed to be getting her influences, and Peck has acknowledged them. It’s something we should be interested in regarding every emerging choreographer. Imitation is the necessary first step to developing a voice. Synthesis comes after.

A review of  Carlos Acosta in "On Before" by Kathy Elgin for Bachtrack.

Although some of the short works were made specially for this programme, most (from established names like Kim Brandstrup and Russell Maliphant) were originally created on other dancers. This ought to have led to some variation but curiously (and in the absence of programme details) it was quite hard to distinguish one from another. This may be a minor critic’s gripe though, as the actual performances, were what people had come to see.

Ballet Arkansas presents "Swan Lake."

It’s the 45th anniversary season for Ballet Arkansas, and if Sunday’s showing is any indicator of how the rest of the spring is going to go, I have a pretty good feeling. “Swan Lake,” the famous ballet scored by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, hadn’t been performed at the Robinson Center for 20 years, and Ballet Arkansas attracted nearly 4,000 people to see the show over the weekend. People old and young came out, and Sunday’s crowd was excited to applaud the dancers, particularly during an impressive number of turns or an extended period on pointe.

A review of Cincinnati Ballet by David Lyman in The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Yes, it can all get a little confusing. But “Don Quixote” is a ballet filled with fiery passion and more than a little slapstick humor. Don’t look for logic. This is entertainment painted with a broad brush. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. And Ludwig Minkus’ score, as well – performed by the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, led by associate music director Samuel Lee.

An interview with dancers Sydney Williams and Daniel Durrett of Boston Ballet.

Durrett said he knows how much representation matters.

"When I would go to the ballet when I was little and I didn't see Black dancers, I was just very confused. I was like 'Why aren't there Black dancers on stage? Why do all the dancers look the same? Why are they all white?'" Durrett said. "So I hope that kids in Boston are able to come to the ballet and see 'Oh, there's a Black ballet dancer or there's a Brown ballerina there. I know I can do it and I know I can pursue this career.'"