This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sunday, February 4

dirac

Tulsa Ballet revives Derek Deane's "Strictly Gershwin."

“The company did this show about five years ago, and there are just four dancers who were in that production and still with the company,” Deane said. “So for much of the company, this show is completely new territory.

“But the fact of the matter is, I like working with new dancers,” he said. “Because this is a relatively young company, as far as the range of ages of the dancers, the energy levels are very high. And while they may not be all that familiar with the world of this ballet, they have this incredible enthusiasm to learn.”

George Lee, who as George Li was the originator of "Tea" in Balanchine's Nutcracker, is the subject of a new short film.

The film will have its premiere on Feb. 10 as part of the Dance on Camera Festival at Film at Lincoln Center. Lee, who last visited New York in 1993, will be in town for the occasion, an opportunity for long-overdue recognition.

“So many years I haven’t done ballet,” Lee said over coffee at the Four Queens on a recent Sunday, after his shift. “And then suddenly Jennifer [Lin] comes and tries to bring everything up. To me, it was like a shock.”

But Lin’s interest has

Emily Adams talks about dancing the dual role of Odette/Odile in "Swan Lake" in Ballet West's Nutcracker.

"I liked that we do these ballets in the darkness of winter. This time of year it can be very bleak. Having ballets that you can go into the theater, and it's like you hear the music and you see some sort of love story happening that's uplifting, even if it's sad, I think it's important — why theater is so important and why I want to be a part of it so much," added Adams.