This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, January 25

dirac

A look at the AI aspect of San Francisco Ballet's "Mere Mortals" by Leslie Katz in Forbes.

Indeed, the ballet, performed by a cast of more than 40 dancers, premieres as AI continues to evoke varied, and strong, reactions: from excitement about its potential to fear it will change the face of creativity and steal jobs. In the most extreme apocalyptic scenarios, it does even worse.

Mere Mortals audiences, however, shouldn’t expect to come away with decisive edicts about the benefits or risks of the proliferating technology. Some characters in the production welcome new ideas and innovations with curiosity and fearlessness, others have a destructive edge.

A review of San Francisco Ballet's opening night gala by Rachel Howard in The San Francisco Chronicle.

Take the penultimate number, that seemingly age-old Soviet chestnut (OK, it really only dates to 1935), the “Diana and Acteon” pas de deux. There flew Wei Wang from the wings, wearing just a loincloth and a Tarzan-like strap across his bare chest, nearly kicking the back of his head, whirling through a grand pirouette combination that even had him spinning in a tilted arabesque. And there pranced Nikisha Fogo, kicking up those long thoroughbred legs in wildly fast yet beautifully controlled jumps. Was it a perfect performance? Perhaps not; Fogo is a bit tall for Wang’s partnering, and the supported pirouettes seemed a touch precarious. Did it prove that low-tech, flesh-and-blood humanity is still pretty damn wondrous? Absolutely.

Items on San Francisco Ballet's gala party.

Town and Country

d its mission to create new works while preserving the classics, and fund scholarships for aspiring dancers.

The hundreds of guests dined upon lobster, filet of beef and a dessert called Paloma’s Passion, a chocolate mousse confection hidden inside an edible treasure chest—a clever nod to the night’s theme: “Pandora: Curiosity Unveiled,” which drew inspiration from the ballet’s newly launched show, “Mere Mortals,” an exhibition that draws inspiration from the Greek myth of Pandora. After dinner, everyone moved to the theater for the performance. And, following snippets of Swan Lake and Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, the festivities continued with an afterparty.

The San Francisco Chronicle

Lady Camden, season 14 runner-up in “RuPaul’s Drag Race” attended with Ben Warner, her Christmas show writing partner and former Smuin dancer. Camden, a ballet dancer who performed with Smuin Ballet under her birth name Rex Wheeler, has followed the company since she was a child in England.

“I used to live vicariously through my auntie in Walnut Creek when I was a little ballet student,” said Camden. “I had posters of San Francisco Ballet principal dancers on my walls at boarding school.”