This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tuesday, January 9

dirac

An appreciation of Joan Acocella by Alexandra Schwartz in The New Yorker.

A new piece by Joan Acocella was reason enough to cancel plans. What had she chosen to tackle this time? Balanchine? The Book of Job? Harry Potter? Arsenic? There seemed to be no subject that she couldn’t take on. A little over a year ago, I hoped to review a book on Chaucer’s Wife of Bath. No dice; Joan had claimed it. Annoyance at not being able to write turned instantly to gladness at being able to read. Now I am doubly glad. Joan died last weekend, at seventy-eight, from cancer; that essay was the last she published in this magazine. She herself might not have been so deferential. “Remember: if I do not get to review it, I will throw myself out the window with a note pinned to my chest saying that this was all your fault,” she once wrote to an editor, of a history of tap dance. “Happy new year! May you be rich and happy!”

The appointment of a  new chairman for the English National Ballet may be announced soon.

According to Sky News, Sir Rupert Gavin, the ex-CEO of BBC Worldwide, a defunct subsidiary tasked with selling BBC content across the world before it merged with BBC Studios, has been picked to succeed Sir Roger Carr, who stepped down last year.