This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, January 13

dirac

Marcelino Sambé on cultural events that influenced him.

In New York a few years ago, I remember seeing the massive queues outside MoMA for Marina Abramović’s show The Artist Is Present. Since then, I’ve been mesmerised by her work, so it was nice to finally experience it first-hand at the Royal Academy. This exhibition covered key moments from her career as a performance artist: the bow and arrow film [Rest Energy], the naked couple in the doorway that you’ve got to squeeze past. The show really takes you on a journey through her life. I loved it so much, I went twice.

An interview with Alina Cojocaru.

Ballerinas like Sylvie Guillem, Diana Vishneva and Natalia Osipova have also pursued independent paths but turned mainly to contemporary work. Was commissioning “La Strada” about finding a vehicle for yourself that was firmly balletic?

I truly believe in classical ballet, and that was part of it. Dancers today are phenomenal, even better than when I began, and apart from myself, I wanted to create opportunities. The experience of being a freelance dancer during the pandemic, and not being protected by a company, made me realize I would like to do something for other freelancers.

A review of the English National Ballet in "Giselle" by Vikki Jane Vile for Broadway World.

Lots has changed since then, in 2017, two seasoned Principals (since departed) took the lead roles, now there is a new leading couple for opening night, First Soloist Katja Khaniukova and Aitor Arrieta, a newly promoted lead Principal who has risen quickly through the ranks. The vehicle for them is a classic in the ENB repertoire, Skeaping’s Giselle is a deeply traditional take on the story; girl (Giselle) meets boy (Albrecht), but the boy is a Prince and actually engaged to Bathilde. Once discovered Giselle dies of a broken heart, the pair are reunited in a ghostly second act where Albrecht is haunted by the Wilis’, women who died before their wedding day. They are led by their Queen, Myrtha, who forces the Prince to dance himself into exhaustion.