This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, January 10

dirac

An investigation at Cleveland Ballet finds a pattern of misconduct and retaliation.

CLEVELAND — The Cleveland Ballet has fired its remaining co-founder after an independent investigation revealed the full depths of the "toxic" environment dancers and employees have been dealing with.

The ballet's Board of Directors announced the results of the probe Wednesday, uncovering a "pattern of intimidation and retaliation against dancers and staff, egregious misconduct, financial irregularities, and self-dealing." Some of the most damaging allegations involve former CEO Michael Krasnyansky, with more than a dozen people accusing him of sexual misconduct.

Krasnyansky, who co-founded the Cleveland Ballet with his wife Gladisa Guadalupe, resigned back in November shortly after the investigation began. On Wednesday, the Board also officially terminated Guadalupe as its artistic director.

A preview of Alina Cojocaru's AC Workroom's production of "La Strada."

La Strada’s cast of 11 includes former La Scala ballerino Mick Zeni as Zampanò, and Cojocaru’s husband Johan Kobborg as Il Matto. Kobborg, former principal of both Royal and Royal Danish Ballet companies, is also a seasoned choreographer, director and balletmaster, and one might imagine him itching to take the reins during Horečná’s rehearsals. However, his wife dismisses the suggestion: “It is her vision,” she insists, “but the dancers all bring their own dynamic. We first created it in flat shoes — Natalia only works with flat shoes — but then I suggested that I’m a lot more happy on pointe . . . ” — her tiny hands bourrée prettily as she speaks — “Day four or five? I put the shoes on.”