This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Saturday, January 6

dirac

A review of the Ballet Company of Teatro alla Scala in "Coppelia" by Ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

, ...........t’s an ambitious production in many respects – an asset for the company. At times though, Ratmansky’s wealth of detail feels like a continuous bombardment, as if he is overeager in combining an abundance of steps with plenty of flourish and excessive acting. His unconventional, fresh approach suffers from his striving for exceptionalism. And though I understand that as many dancers as possible should be involved, I’d have preferred a less crowded village square to better show off the pas de deux of the leading couple – Nicoletta Manni (Swanilda) and Timofej Andrijashenko (Franz).
Sulcas fittingly described this Franz as “a klutz” conveying “poor-me-I-am-just-a-man sulkiness.” This poor guy indeed had to express remorse at length – puffing his cheeks, rolling his eyes, and letting himself fall like a wimp. An overdose of emotionality and botched attempts at swagger made him ridiculous. Can anybody explain why a woman as smart as Swanilda would marry such a man?

Scottish Ballet presents "Cinders!"

For our performance, we were treated to a male Cinders, danced gorgeously by Evan Loudon, and a Princess Louise, performed with poise and authority by Marge Hendrick. This provided a really interesting look at the traditional gender roles in ballet – it’s so rare to see a male dancer displaying such vulnerability and tenderness, and likewise a female dancer having the opportunity to take on a more commanding, powerful role.