This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thursday, January 4

dirac

Transcript of an interview with Misty Copeland from an Axios podcast.

NIALA: So Misty you have branched out in many directions in your career – including through your production company which last year debuted a short film, Flower, which you also star in. The film spotlights the issue of housing in the Bay Area…why did you want to pick this for your first film project?

MISTY: Well, you know, first of all, I think that when I decided to start the production company with my best friend. Her name is Leila Fayyaz. She was a ballerina at American Ballet Theatre. She's Persian, Lebanese, Cuban, comes from a similar background to me where, you know, I think that we both came into the ballet community not completely feeling like, oh, this is a place that we see people like us, represented.

A review of the Vienna State Ballet by Ilona Landgraf in her blog, "Landgraf on Dance."

The Vienna State Ballet’s newest triple bill combines pieces by Hans van Manen, William Forsythe, and George Balanchine. As Forsythe doesn’t allow video streaming of his works, his In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated wasn’t part of the online broadcast on December 27th (which showed a recording of the premiere on December 23rd).
I’ve often been unhappy about the Viennese performances, but what’s to expect when the choreographies given to them are mediocre? This time though, a meaty dance-diet was on the menu, and the company rose splendidly to the occasion.

A BBC interview with Misty Copeland. (Thanks to sandik for the link!)

"I have so many things in my life that kind of fulfil what ballet has been, and ballet is still in that: it's [also] the work I'm doing through my foundation, it's these incredible projects I'm creating with my production company, it's having a son. To me, this feels like a really natural evolution, that I'm just going with the flow," says Copeland. Calm and resolute, she adds, "I'm so content and I'm so proud of the career that I've had.

One day, she may perform again, but listening to her body and slipping off the pointe shoes, for now, "just feels right".